Legends of Whimsy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Legends of Whimsy

A home for amazement and fun for friends and family!

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 17 ... 22  Next
AuthorMessage
Alan_Dietrich
Moderators
Moderators
Alan_Dietrich

Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert - Page 12 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert   Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert - Page 12 EmptyFri Jul 13, 2018 8:09 am

Sigurd took his armor off and set his sword in the corner of the room. Stretching, he sighed and looked to his mate "it's fine, just needed to clear the air with Brynoff's and go for a walk to clear my head" he said softly. He made his way back to Ashwyn and wrapped his arms around her saying nothing. He just needed to hold her close to soften the pain of helplessness he was feeling.

He couldn't help but think that his quest was a fools errand now. Nobody knew anything about this curse or illness, the very least how to curb it's effects or delay it. It was always a part of his life and he had grown cold to it, seeing those that fell ill as weak and something to dispose of. That was how he felt when he dispatched Lucas. But the moment his mother fell ill it all changed. It was more personal now and it killed him to be failing at each turn.
Back to top Go down
AniRedFox
Moderators
Moderators
AniRedFox

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert   Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert - Page 12 EmptyFri Jul 13, 2018 8:17 am

Ashwyn nodded to his words, but she was still worried. She could tell something was wrong.

When he pulled her close she nuzzled her face against his chest, holding him close to her. She didn't know exactly what was wrong, but she could tell he wasn't telling her something. She also wasn't going to pry though. If he wanted to tell her, he would.

After the silence stretched between them for a time, she pulled her face from his chest to look up at him. "Zane and Jacquelyn are still at the healers, and Lo took Cirro out for a walk." She said, explaining why the others were missing from this house. "So... I guess that means we have the place to ourselves for a while." She said with a smile, hoping to cheer him up a bit.
Back to top Go down
https://legendsofwhimsy.forumotion.com
Alan_Dietrich
Moderators
Moderators
Alan_Dietrich

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert   Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert - Page 12 EmptyFri Jul 13, 2018 8:54 am

Sigurd smiled "some peace and quiet for once" he smirked and kissed her forehead. "Whatever will we do with ourselves?" In a quick fluid motion, Sigurd spun around to Ashwyn's side and pulled her down with him to the bed, flopping his arm over her and pulling her close. "It's nice to be out of the desert... I'd rather sleep on dirt than sand or rock again..."
Back to top Go down
AniRedFox
Moderators
Moderators
AniRedFox

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert   Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert - Page 12 EmptyFri Jul 13, 2018 9:18 am

Ashwyn laughed as Sigurd whipped her around and pulled her onto the bed. She snuggled against him affectionately before leaning up to look at him.

"I agree. It's really a shame that we'll have to go back into it soon." She sighed. She sat upright for a moment, just long enough to loosen the straps on her armor so she could pull it off. She tossed it onto an adjacent bed and then snuggled back into Sigurd's embrace. This was the first time they'd been truly alone since leaving Eventide and she found she wanted to take advantage of it. She enjoyed just being held by him. But then... that made her start thinking...

Staying curled against him, she leaned her head back against his arm so she could look up at him. "Sig... What do you think about Lopiena?" She asked, not really sure how to broach the topic.
Back to top Go down
Alan_Dietrich
Moderators
Moderators
Alan_Dietrich

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert   Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert - Page 12 EmptyFri Jul 13, 2018 9:56 am

"I think she's come a long way from when we started, I feel bad for her upbringing. It sounds like her village needs a visit and possibly a strict improvement to their education. Why do you ask?" See asked, giving her a gentle squish.
Back to top Go down
AniRedFox
Moderators
Moderators
AniRedFox

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert   Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert - Page 12 EmptyFri Jul 13, 2018 10:18 am

Ashwyn nodded along with his assessment. "Yes... I agree with all of that." She said and then smiled as he squished her.

"Have you thought any more on what happens after our mission is complete? I agree that the place she came from is a horrible place and I can't stand the thought of sending her back there." She met his gaze. "Will you... want her to come home with you? With us?"
Back to top Go down
Alan_Dietrich
Moderators
Moderators
Alan_Dietrich

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert   Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert - Page 12 EmptyFri Jul 13, 2018 10:35 am

Sigurd thought for a moment "if we go to her village and she doesn't want to stay, and if she asks to, how could I say no? She would be much happier among my people than hers is think." He paused "unless she wants to live with the caries that is. Why do you ask?"
Back to top Go down
AniRedFox
Moderators
Moderators
AniRedFox

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert   Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert - Page 12 EmptyFri Jul 13, 2018 10:40 am

Ashwyn nodded. "I know it's her choice. As it should be." She nodded again. "I only wonder... with how things have been as of late...." She chuckled, a bit embarassedly. "I was wondering if you'd want to take her as a second mate. Assuming she agreed of course."

For some reason she couldn't bring herself to meet his gaze as she waited to hear his answer.
Back to top Go down
Alan_Dietrich
Moderators
Moderators
Alan_Dietrich

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert   Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert - Page 12 EmptyFri Jul 13, 2018 10:53 am

Sigurd shook his head "no, I'd never ask that. As enjoyable as that would be it's not something I could do to you. You are my mate pure and simple. What happened the other night was a teaching experience for her, for all three of us to share. That said if the three of us can find comfort in eachother on this journey then all the better for our connection and comradery" he said matter of factly.

Kissing her forehead again he smiled "the only one who'll bear my children is you" he smirked.
Back to top Go down
AniRedFox
Moderators
Moderators
AniRedFox

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert   Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert - Page 12 EmptyFri Jul 13, 2018 11:03 am

Ashwyn wasn't sure why she had been nervous but hearing him speak those words made her very happy. She smiled up at him when he spoke of children and chuckled.

She leaned up and kissed his lips softly. "I'm sorry if that was... a weird question." She said, a bit embarrassed for ever being worried.

"I want to make it clear to you. I will do anything you want if it will make you happy. Even if that meant a second mate." She locked eyes with him. "But... I feel a bit selfish for saying this but... I find the idea of sharing you on a permanent basis... unappealing." She frowned a bit. "That might sound rather awful...and it sounds worse outloud..." She shook her head.
Back to top Go down
Lopiena

Lopiena

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert   Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert - Page 12 EmptyFri Jul 13, 2018 11:12 am

Walking along quietly with Cirro, Lopiena considers his question. "Nature...yes. We've always lived apart from the rest of the village, more in the forest than the town proper. I remember as a very small child lying on the ground next to my mother while she explained how to feel the heartbeat of the earth...the trees...the life. It...came naturally to me, I always have been able to feel...too strongly sometimes, which is probably why so much of my life has been about control..." A pained expression passes across her face, but she shakes it off quickly. "Our magic draws from the life around us, as well as the elements. Though elements are...temperamental...we never control elements, it's more of the art of gentle persuasion. I'm sure it's similar for you." Grinning up at Cirro, she watches the expressions in his face. "I'm actually very curious about how you draw your magic. You said something about how the forest heals you, and yet here you are miles from the forest and still able to use magic. How does that work? And how do you heal? When I heal, I actually give some of my own life force to my patient, which is why it drains me so quickly...I'm sure there's a better way, but I haven't learned it yet. At least I learned how not to feel their pain as much...when I first learned to heal, I thought I had to feel it in order to heal it...and I still do a little, but not to the same degree. Which is a good thing..." Closing her eyes briefly, Lo shudders slightly. Pain was a part of her life, and she'd accepted that long ago...but it still wasn't something she'd call enjoyable. "I sure hope Zane is ok...he was in so much pain I had to heal him when he was still being crushed by that boulder...I may have caused more damage than good..." Worries back on the forefront of her mind, Lo walks silently, hoping Cirro will take her mind from her worries again.
Back to top Go down
AniRedFox
Moderators
Moderators
AniRedFox

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert   Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert - Page 12 EmptyFri Jul 13, 2018 11:54 am

Cirro listened as Lopiena explained her magic and nodded along with her. "Facinating." he said finally.

"Our magic, well, our inate magic that is, the magic we're born with, that is instilled to us from the forest, but it's worked into our very being so we don't loose it if we leave the forest. However, if I were to move away from the forest and never return, then it would eventually fade away from me. A fairy must replenish themself in their birth place once every year to ensure our magic remains strong. Usually thre's a celebration that the Queen throws and everyone renews together. But it doesn't need to be done that way. One can renew on their own if they so choose." He explained.

"And each fair is born with unique abilities. You can distinguish them by their wings. Fairies either have dragonfly wings, like mine, butterfly wings, like the Queen, Moth wings, like Brock, or beatle wings. Dragonfly fairies tend to be physically stronger and more agile. Most of us are trained to be warriors. Butterfly fairies are the most beautiful and usually are the ones sent out when we're trying to make a good impression. Moth fairies are very wise, and usually pursue teaching rolls. Beatle fairies are stout and sturdy. They usually do the heavy lifting and construction type duties.

"Then there's the pixies and sprites. They have no wings to call their own, but their magic is just as strong. Pixies are very child-like in their appearance. They're also very shy. They can turn invisible whenever they choose.

"And sprites, well, they're the mischieve makers. They are talented brewers. They create all sorts of potions and medicines. But they also like to cause trouble with the other races.

"Flightless fairies tend to have animal companions to help them get around. Something small usually. Like DayBreak, the captain of the gaurd, has a ferret companion. Others go for things like rabbits or mice or even birds.

"Sprites and Pixies also tend to live the night life. Sunlight can hurt their eyes if taken in too much so they're usually night dwellers. " He smiled at her.

"As for my cleric magic, that's a little different. I use my fairy magic to enhance it, but the spells are no different than any other races clerical spells. I simply manifest it in a different way."

When she spoke of Zane, he nodded. "I hope he's doing well too. I'm sure we can find the healers hut. This village isn't that large." He took her hand. "Come on, I'm sure we can find him." He smiled and pulled her along at a slightly quicker pace.
Back to top Go down
Alan_Dietrich
Moderators
Moderators
Alan_Dietrich

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert   Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert - Page 12 EmptyFri Jul 13, 2018 1:49 pm

Sigurd laughed lightly. Her concern was justified, there have been spellwolves in the past that have taken multiple mates, but the women of ThunderKnoll were a strong breed and didn't usually take kindly to being treated as property. "You have nothing to worry about love. But." He winked "if you want to share me occasionally I'm sure I can settle for that" he stuck his tongue out at her and pokes her sides.
Back to top Go down
Lopiena

Lopiena

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert   Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert - Page 12 EmptyFri Jul 13, 2018 2:00 pm

Listening to Cirro with rapt attention, Lo nods slightly with his explanation of innate magic that arises from the place they're born.  "Getting renewed...sounds like quite an interesting experience.  Is it anything like a focus ceremony, or closer to meditation, or something else entirely?  And how are all the different types of fairies born from the same Queen?  I'd guess the way genetics work is different for fairies than it is for humans, but you'd still have some of the same qualities in you as the Queen and...her mate...would have, or so I'd presume?"  Lo pauses again, wondering about their remarkable differences.  "I've been wondering how you're all brought up.  I mean...not who or how, you mentioned something about caretakers...but if you're all born on the same day, I'd imagine there would be some sort of connection to all of your brothers and sisters, but again with so many of you there wouldn't really be a chance to get to know your parents at all.  That's really kind of...sad...I never realized how lucky I am, being able to be so close to Mother and Gramma."  Holding his hand a little tighter, Lo looks up into his face, into his eyes.  All her life she'd wondered what it would be like to know her father, to have brothers and sisters, a real family like the other folks in the village...and here's someone who knows his parents, has uncounted brothers and sisters, but didn't seem to be close to anyone.  Lonely in a crowd...she knew all about loneliness, no wonder she was drawn to him.

Picking up her pace when he mentions finding the healer's hut, Lo nods.  She's still terribly afraid that the damage to Zane's legs is irreparable, but the healers here are very skilled and she wants to know how bad off he really is.  Otherwise it would be a sleepless night of worry, and after just telling Cirro that moving slow is a better option sleeplessness would lead to something else entirely...
Back to top Go down
AniRedFox
Moderators
Moderators
AniRedFox

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert   Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert - Page 12 EmptySat Jul 14, 2018 7:27 am

Ashwyn laughed and wiggled in his arms as he poked at her. Finally she reached up, grabbed hold of his shirt and pulled him over her.

"I think I can manage that." She winked playfully before pulling him downward and kissing him sweetly.

---

Cirro nodded to Lo's question about the ceremony. "In a way, yes. It's not something that requires a crowd. It's a change that happens within us. We have to take a seed, any seed, and plant it at the base of great tree in Shimmer Hollow. That action restores us as we give back to the earth." He explains.

He laughed when she questioned how the Queen could birth so many different types of fairy. Even her concern over him not having parents. He smiled at her. "I'm sure it's confusing for you. Humans have a very different family structure. Everyone in Shimmer Hollow is my family. The Queen is born different than the rest of us. She is imbued with a special magic, gifted to her from the earth. We are all the same when we are born. I suppose I should explain..." He paused, to gather his thoughts.

"The Queen will go into a nesting phase usually once a year. While in this phase, she is bed ridden as her body prepares to produce eggs. At this time, she and her mate are bed ridden for several days to ensure fertilization. Then she will lay her eggs. Usually 50 or so at a time. The eggs are tiny and sticky, a bit like frog eggs. They are taken to the nesting chamber where they will sit for about a month where they will increase in size to be double what they started out as and they will become less sticky and more hardened. Then they hatch into a larval form, much like caterpillars. They will be fed and cared for in the nursery for another couple of weeks as they become accustom to the outside air. Their skin will strengthen and they're bodies will mature. Then they will form a pod around themselves when it is time for the change. Much like a cocoon or chrysalis from caterpillars. It is during this transformation that our type and magic is gifted to us. The nursery is deep within the heart of our sacred tree and while we change it fills us with magic. When we emerge from our pod roughly six months later, we appear as human toddlers and our type is known." He explained.

"And don't worry about me missing out on parents. I mean, yes, the human method of parenting has always been intriguing to me and I believe it to be a very beautiful thing. But I do not feel lessened because I do not have that. Brock is my father. The Queen is my mother. But Brock is also my superior and my friend. And the Queen is my Queen. I would serve her until my dying breath."

As they walked, they finally came across a place that seemed to be full of sick and wounded. Of course it wouldn't take much to be full as the building was very tiny. There were those with lesser injuries sitting outside, others leaving with smiles, and in the back could be seen a few others who were more hurt and slept in beds. Among them was Zane, sitting slightly elevated and talking animatedly with Jacquelyn.
Back to top Go down
Lopiena

Lopiena

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert   Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert - Page 12 EmptySat Jul 14, 2018 2:30 pm

Nodding to herself at the mention of planting a seed at the base of the tree in Shimmer Hollow...the gift of life in such a way would absolutely imbue the earth's magic on the giver...Lo listens more and more intrigued to his description of their birthing cycle. Small eggs becoming larger and hardening over time makes sense, but they have a larval stage?! Well that's unexpected. While the curious part of her was intrigued, the human part of her was...not repulsed per se, but concerned. If we continue this relationship, will I lay an egg? Or worse, give birth to a pupae? Or several? It wasn't something she really wanted to think about, but the urge to share his bed this night was rapidly diminishing. Perhaps the male didn't have to consider these things, but she did. Maybe a conversation with Ashwyn about being of multiple heritages would be useful as well...

Her thoughts were interrupted by their arrival at the healing house. Looking around at all the sick and injured, Lo slowly walks through the building, getting each one with a touch and a smile. Every touch revealed something about the patients; this one had a broken limb, that one a cut that wouldn't stop bleeding, those preparing for the birth of their child...but most importantly, she felt their spirits. Everyone here was happy. Not happy to be injured of course, but happy that they're here and knowing that they'll be taken care of by the best. Nodding quietly to herself, Lo smiles and continues to the back to where Zane and Jacquelyn are. "So how is everything? Any word on how long the healing process will be?"
Back to top Go down
AniRedFox
Moderators
Moderators
AniRedFox

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert   Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert - Page 12 EmptySun Jul 15, 2018 9:28 am

Cirro had been explaining fairy reproduction as though reciting from a book. Every fairy child was taught the process so for him it wasn't anything unusual. It wasn't until he glanced over at her at the end of his story that he saw the... he wasn't sure what the look was. Fear? Concern? In any case he was suddenly worried that he had said something horrid.

He didn't get a chance to backpeddle as they entered the healing facility. He made a mental note to speak to her about this again before he really stepped in it.

Jacquelyn and Zane looked up as Lopiena and Cirro approached. "Ahh! Hello!" Zane said happily. "Is this place not amazing??" He asked excitedly.

Jacquelyn chuckled. "He MIGHT be hopped up on some really strong herbs right now." She said with a wink towards Lopiena, causing Cirro to smirk.

Zane waved her off. "Oh posh. The fact that these people have carved out a paradise for themselves in the wastes is amazing! And so many diverse cultures! Over there!" He pointed to a healer in the corner mixing herbs. "She's an Aasimar! I've never seen on in person before! And back over there!" he pointed to two bird like creatures laying in a bed. "They're Kenku! I didn't even know Kenku could BECOME Lycans! This place is amazing!!" He had a large grin on his face and his eyes were wide with rather dialated pupiles.

Jacquelyn smirked at him. "Alright Zane. Just take a breath. Yes, it's all amazing. Maybe you should get some sleep, eh?"

"Hm?" Zane turned to her. "Oh... Oh yes.. I suppose..."

She helped him wiggle down to a laying position before she placed a hand on his forehead. In moments he was sleeping. She shook her head, removing her hand from the spell she'd placed on him and turned back to Lo and Cirro. "He doesn't seem to take well to herbs..." She smirked.

Cirro chuckled. "How's he doing?"

Jacquelyn sighed. "Well... not bad honestly. Legs were crushed. Several different breaks. It's amazing they didn't shatter completely. Looks like you managed to stop any internal bleeding though," She looked at Lo with a smile. "So that's very good. He's out of immediate danger. But it'll take several days of powerful healing spells to get him on his feet again. Until then, he can't move. Any movement in his legs will cause the spell to knit his bones together in the wrong way and he could end up a cripple anyway."
Back to top Go down
Lopiena

Lopiena

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert   Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert - Page 12 EmptySun Jul 15, 2018 4:04 pm

Grinning at Zane's enthusiasm and wondering exactly which herbs they'd given him, Lo looks around in amazement as well.  She had been so engrossed with feeling the injuries and the general morale of the place she honestly hadn't noticed anything else about the people themselves.  Making several quick mental notes with a rapid glance around the room, Lo nods to herself.  As much as she'd love to study these people in depth, it's not polite to stare and there are more important matters at hand.  Like Zane.  Once he's asleep and the depths of his injuries are brought to light, Lo bites her lip in worry.  Several days...they'd either have to further delay their mission or leave without him.  To leave without him would be the most logical choice; he's badly injured, and even once he's fully healed walking through the hot desert for days on end wouldn't exactly be good for him...but he'd been part of their group since the beginning, he'd saved all their lives, and leaving without him just felt...wrong.  Trying really hard not to start pacing around the tiny building, Lo starts closing and opening her hands just for something physical to do.  

Finally giving voice to her concerns, Lo looks between Jacquelyn and Cirro.  "Several days...that's a long time.  I don't know if we can delay that much longer, but...he's saved all our lives, I can't just abandon him...but it might be better for him overall, his body has already endured too much...but..." Close open close open close open.  Don't pace.  Trying not to disturb the other patients in the building, Lopiena lowers her voice.  "Honestly it might be better to stay for another day just to find out what folks might know about...you know.  Jacquelyn, Cirro...you said Brynoff directed you the place to enter where we'd been trapped.  They must know something about the ruins under the Wasteland.  Maybe there's some knowledge about how to get to...where we're going...without alerting the world to our intentions."  With another quick glance around the room, Lo suddenly wonders how many of the other patients have exceptional hearing...probably all of them.  And who knows if they're for, against, or neutral on the issues they're facing. Silently curses herself for not even thinking about such things until after she'd spoken, Lo looks up with a grim smile.  "Perhaps we should let him sleep, discuss this stuff elsewhere."
Back to top Go down
Alan_Dietrich
Moderators
Moderators
Alan_Dietrich

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert   Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert - Page 12 EmptyMon Jul 16, 2018 8:53 am

Sigurd pulled Ashwyn closer to him and pressed his forehead against hers. His mind was a wash with the feeling of failure, unable to find any answers was more and more frustrating as their journey progressed. Sighing deeply he resigned himself to the current task at hand, they had to go to the mountains and gather more information about the encroaching wasteland.

Just holding her was comforting enough to calm him. As strong as he was there was a lot of pressure he was putting on himself for everything that was happening back home. He'd just have to take it a day at a time.
Back to top Go down
AniRedFox
Moderators
Moderators
AniRedFox

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert   Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert - Page 12 EmptyMon Jul 16, 2018 9:12 am

Ashwyn could sense that Sigurd was deeply troubled. She wanted to ask what it was about but... she dind't want to intrude. If he hadn't told her then there must be a reason. She would let it sit for now. Hopefully he'll tell me later... She thought.

It wasn't often they could be alone and she was enjoying the closeness in any case. Perhaps it was selfish, but she just wanted to lay there with him a while longer before having to go back to the real world. She nuzzled against his forehead affectionately and brought one hand up to touch his cheek.

"I love you. You know that, right?" She asked him, her voice soft and caring.

---

Jacquelyn nodded to Lopiena's question about the ruins under the city.

"Brynoff and his people have been out here exploring the desert since long before I arrived here. He knows much of the underground ruins. He would be the one to ask about it. He has no love of those that dwell on the fire peaks." She said with a smirk.

"Besides," she looked at Lopiena. "He knew you're mother quite well. They were very close friends. It wouldn't hurt to have a bit of a chat with him." She winked.

As though predicting the future, it was at that moment that Brynoff entered the healing hut. He was immediately accosted by healers thanking him for being so kind as to visit the wounded. He smiled politely at them in turn, and began making his way across the room. He'd stop for a moment to shake a hand or inquire about a wound as he walked on, never stopping for very long but leaving those he talked to beaming for being recognized.

Finally he made it to Lopiena, Cirro, Jacquelyn and Zane. He smiled at them in greeting. "The healers tell me your friend will require a longer stay with us. I wanted to insure you that you are all welcome here as long as you'd like."

Cirro bowed his head to the large man. "Thank you sir. We're... not yet sure of our plans. But we very much appreciate your courtesy."

Brynoff chuckled, the sound low and deep in his large body. "Think nothing of it, young man. It's nice to have strangers around. New stories and experiences are only better for the group as a whole. It's been many many years since we've had visitors. Well, other than Jacquelyn and Cyna of course." he winked at her.

Jacquelyn chuckled. "You may not have even had me this month, Brynoff. The desert creatures are getting more brazen. Treking across the desert is far different than it once was."

Brynodd nodded sagely. "Yes... yes I know. They've even tried attacking here once or twice. Imagine, a whole village of werewolves and they still attack? It doesn't bode well for the future that's for sure."
Back to top Go down
Alan_Dietrich
Moderators
Moderators
Alan_Dietrich

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert   Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert - Page 12 EmptyMon Jul 16, 2018 9:57 am

"of course" he said simply "and I love you." Sigurd closed his eyes , he didn't know if he wanted to sleep or even if he could. Running his hand through her hair was soothing. Something he had never expected on this adventure was to take a mate, especially with someone he had known for so long but had only really known for the last week. It was a funny thought.

"Three days to the mountain. And then god knows what..." He sighed. "I hope were prepared for what comes next when we get there. We have may have several dragons to contend with and gods knows what else..."
Back to top Go down
Lopiena

Lopiena

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert   Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert - Page 12 EmptyMon Jul 16, 2018 10:22 am

Nodding to herself when Jacquelyn mentions Brynoff knowing about the ruins, Lo is relieved to know that Brynoff at least is on their side and might even help their cause. Still though, can't be too careful...a war between Fey Forest and the Azer would bring trouble to this peaceful village, and there may be some who would rather end the conflict by doing away with them rather than risk a long term war. But that is a consideration for another time; as long as they're in the house of healing let there be no talk of war or other fears. Such things will come soon enough.

Looking up when Jacquelyn mentions that Brynoff knew her mother...seems everyone knows her better than her own daughter...Lo watches silently when the man himself enters the house. He seems well loved, a man who brought peace and hope to those who had lost everything. Hope is perhaps the most valuable thing that can be offered, and it's clear that these people would give their all for the one who'd given them a chance to live again. Definitely don't want to trifle with them...or him, for that matter. Watching him approach, Lo can't help but feel more than a little intimidated. He's huge, muscular, the leader of a people who would defend him to their dying breath...and knowing that he'd had some sort of conflict with Sigurd's father, however long ago, only proves that he's not someone to take lightly. Letting Cirro and Jacquelyn do most of the talking, Lo watches his mannerisms. He seems genuinely concerned with the welfare of his people, and his generous offer to let Zane stay as long as he needs to is encouraging. Finally working up enough courage to speak, Lo smiles shyly. "The desert has certainly been more of a concern than we'd originally thought. I wonder what the future holds if the creatures are becoming bolder with their attacks. I...don't know how long we can stay, that's a decision for the entire group to make...but perhaps we can discuss how to cross the desert without running into the...issues we had today? Maybe in the morning, though. The people here need to rest."
Back to top Go down
AniRedFox
Moderators
Moderators
AniRedFox

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert   Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert - Page 12 EmptyMon Jul 16, 2018 11:03 am

Ashwyn smiled as he reciprocated her feelings. She watched his eyes close and sighed contentedly as she snuggled down to rest her head on his chest and letting her eyes drift closed.

When he spoke of the journey she nodded without looking up. "Three days to Jacquelyn's mountain." She clarified. "We're not even sure how much more of a journey we'll have from that point. Or if we can even make it to the peak." She felt a shiver travel the length of her spine at the prospect. "This mission has become far more than I anticipated." She sighed. Then she thought about it a moment.

"Actually.... I don't think I anticipated anything. It was... just a job. No different than any other job. I prepared as I would for any trek but... I never expected to actually connect with anyone...." She admitted.

It was amazing that it was little over a week since they left their homes to begin this journey and already so much had changed. She had been so cold and unfeeling before. Locked away inside of herself for so long. It's amazing that in so short a time she could feel such a strong connection to people she'd only just met. And Sigurd...she'd known of him for years of course, but she never imagined they would end up like this. She pondered briefly what his father would think if he knew.
Back to top Go down
AniRedFox
Moderators
Moderators
AniRedFox

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert   Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert - Page 12 EmptyMon Jul 16, 2018 12:59 pm

Brynoff nodded down to Lopiena. "Yes, quite right. Actually I was going to suggest another meeting tomorrow morning after you've all rested. Jacquelyn has informed me of your mission, at least some of it, and I'd like to help however I can. If you'd all like to meet me at my home tomorrow morning just after sunrise then I'd like to treat you all to a meal while you tell me what I can do to help." He said with a smile.

"Free meal at the Alpha's place?" Jacquelyn smirked. "I know I'm in." She winked at him causing the big man to chuckle.  "Well, I need to finish organizing my cart. I'm meeting with the traders tomorrow." She said as she stood.

"Oh! I believe I left my weapon on your cart when we arrived. Mind if I grab it really fast?" Cirro asked.

"Come along, squirt." She said, she winked over to Lopinea with a playful smile on her face before she led Cirro out of the healing area.

As they walked away, Brynoff chuckled. "You know, I've worked with the woman for years and I'm STILL waiting for the day she tames." He smirked. He glanced down at Lopiena with a smile. "So, what do you think of our fair village so far?"
Back to top Go down
Lopiena

Lopiena

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert   Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert - Page 12 EmptyMon Jul 16, 2018 2:16 pm

Smiling about the comment about continuing this conversation tomorrow over breakfast, Lo takes half a step towards the door when suddenly Jacquelyn and Cirro disappear in the opposite direction and she's left to talk to Brynoff on her own...ulp. Well it had been mentioned that maybe they should talk at some point...now as good as ever. Smiling tentatively up at the hulking stranger, Lo nods. "This place is amazing, it is wonderful to see a place of peace for those who need it most. It hurts my heart to think that these lovely people were abandoned by their own at their time of greatest need, and I'm grateful to you for giving their lives back. As are they." Slowly walking out of the house of healing, Lo stops to smile at the injured who are still awake. A smile goes a lot way to heal the hurt, and as shy as Lo often is when surrounded by strangers the power of a smile is always worth the effort. Still though...by the time they get outside Lo has to take a steadying breath before she can turn to Brynoff again without showing fear. "Um. Would you be willing to show me around? I'm curious about the village, and...Jacquelyn mentioned you knew my mother?  Lorelei...she would have last visited 20 some odd years ago, as far as I know?"
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert   Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert - Page 12 Empty

Back to top Go down

Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert
Page 12 of 22Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 17 ... 22  Next