Legends of Whimsy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Legends of Whimsy

A home for amazement and fun for friends and family!

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 16 ... 22  Next
AuthorMessage
AniRedFox
Moderators
Moderators
AniRedFox

Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert - Page 11 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert   Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert - Page 11 EmptySun Jul 08, 2018 2:57 pm

Brynoff smirked when Sigurd started laughing. "Honestly? So am I. I don't even want to know what kind of trouble your father got into after I left." he chuckled.

The fighters at the table relaxed a bit as the tension faded.

Brynoff nodded to Sigurd. "Thank you. I appreciate the gesture. I... Don't exactly know what I would say to him. Perhaps just... I'm sorry. And thank you." he nodded. When Sigurd spoke of speaking to hin privately, Brynoff nodded. "Of course. Anything I can do." he turned to the table. "But first, please, partake of my table. All you can eat. It's the least I can do." he smiled warmly

Ashwyn glanced at Sigurd, waiting for his go ahead that the fight was over and it was okay to eat.
Back to top Go down
https://legendsofwhimsy.forumotion.com
Alan_Dietrich
Moderators
Moderators
Alan_Dietrich

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert   Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert - Page 11 EmptySun Jul 08, 2018 3:25 pm

Sigurd smiled and nodded to Brynoff, and looked to his companions letting them know that there wasn't going to be any further incidents. He took the lead and began to eat, his demeanor was like there had been not animosity between him and his host at all his apology seemed genuine and that was enough for Sigurd, He really didn't want to start a fight in the middle of a village he didn't know against a pack of werewolves that were trained as well as he was.
Back to top Go down
Lopiena

Lopiena

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert   Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert - Page 11 EmptySun Jul 08, 2018 4:55 pm

When Zane was taken away with the healers, Lopiena's first instinct was to follow them; her place was with her patient and anyway Zane is her friend. The invitation to dine with Brynoff is a generous offer, though...and Lo is starved! Following behind the rest of the group, she keeps her silence for the most part but takes in everything with all of her senses. None of the buildings or decorations are familiar to her, but they sure are interesting to see...and while Lo isn't entirely sure, it looks like Sigurd might know something of this place.

During introductions, Lopiena watches each individual with interest; there are as many various personalities as there are people. Seems the only thing that brings them all together is their Lycan connection. Idly wondering the stories that these folk have to tell..transformations aren't comfortable, or at least that's what she'd heard...Lo opens her mouth to speak only to close it again with the revelation of Sigurd and Brynoff. It's...shocking to know that these apparent strangers have such a connection...or rather the opposite of connection, whatever that may be! Imagine, to meet the rival of your father out here of all places! As the energy in the room seemingly explodes, Lo tries to make herself as unnoticeable as possible, just trying to stay out of it. If something did happen she'd leap to defend Sigurd to the end, but in a room full of werewolves the end might come all too quickly for someone like her!

When Sigurd suddenly starts laughing, the tension in the room slowly dissipates and Lo takes an audible sign of relief. No fighting, no bloodshed, no honourable revenge or whatever. Still wishing to remain unnoticed, Lo simply sits and glances from Sigurd to Ashwyn to Brynoff and back again, then glances briefly at Cirro with wide eyes as though to signify relief. As Sigurd starts to eat, Lo finally relaxes the rest of the way. She's still a little nervous, but at least there seems to be a tentative peace. Politely taking passed plates of food with all the poise and command of a mouse, Lo focuses on breathing. They can smell fear, don't get to that point. Tension is one thing, alertness is important, fear must be left out in the desert.
Back to top Go down
AniRedFox
Moderators
Moderators
AniRedFox

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert   Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert - Page 11 EmptySun Jul 08, 2018 7:53 pm

Ashwyn nodded to Sigurd and, like him, began to eat.

Cirro glanced at Lo, to the others, and to the food before he started to eat tentatively.

The werewolves, like Sigurd, were wolfing down their food (pun intended Wink ). It was as though there was no confrontation at all. Ashwyn couldn't help but chuckle at them as she ate as well.

"The food is delicious, Brynoff. Thank you agian." She said.

He chuckled. "Of course, my dear! I'm glad you like it. Greta, does amazing work with food." He said, indicating one of the women who helped him carry things out. She was now at the table with the other woman, also eating like she was starving. She waved when acknowledged.

After the meal was coming to a close, Brynoff stood up. "Well, I hope you all have had your fill. You're welcome to stay here as long as you wish. It's been a while since we've had visitors. And seeing as the full moon is past for a while there's no real rush to leave." He chuckled and turned to Tabitha.

"Tabby, would you mind showing our guests to the guest house?"

Tabitha nodded and stood.

Brynoff turned to the others. "We don't have an Inn since visitors are so rare. But there's a house I had built to accomedate the few visitors and traders that come through here. It's usually only used by Jacquelyn. I'll see to it she and your other friend are brought there later on as well." He nodded.

He turned to Sigurd. "If you'd like, we can speak in my quarters." He said, sweeping with his arm towards the hallway to the north.

Tabitha walked over to where Cirro, Lo and Ash sat. "If you'll come with me." She said, turning and heading out of the room.

Cirro went to follow her, but Ashwyn hesitated, glancing back at Sigurd. "Do you want me to wait?" She asked in a soft voice.
Back to top Go down
Alan_Dietrich
Moderators
Moderators
Alan_Dietrich

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert   Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert - Page 11 EmptyMon Jul 09, 2018 10:41 am

Sigurd stood with everyone and bowed his head in thanks for the meal. At Brynoff's request Sigurd made his way to follow. Turning at Ashwyn's words he shook his head. "I'll be alright, warm a spot for me" he said with a soft smile before disappearing down the hallway with the larger man.
Back to top Go down
Lopiena

Lopiena

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert   Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert - Page 11 EmptyMon Jul 09, 2018 10:53 am

Devouring the delicious food with almost gusto as everyone else, Lo also bowed her thanks to both Brynoff in thanks at the close of the meal. Smiling at Tabitha as she leads on to the guest house, isn't sure what to say in light of the revelations from earlier so instead just tries to be friendly. "Thank you for showing us the way to the guest house. Brynoff said Zane and Jacquelyn will be joining us soon, as well? How often does Jacquelyn make her trips out here?" Still looking around carefully at their surroundings, Lo waits a moment for Ashwyn to join her and Cirro before heading out into the twilight. New places are always better with friends!
Back to top Go down
AniRedFox
Moderators
Moderators
AniRedFox

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert   Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert - Page 11 EmptyMon Jul 09, 2018 1:30 pm

Ashwyn smiled fondly at Sigurd and his request to warm a place for him. She nodded before turning and following the others.

Tabitha led them around the Alpha house to a smaller area behind. The houses were just as well constructed but more spread out. There were children running around playing and laughing through the square with parents looking on as they tended to various household tasks. In the center was a large well, several folks stood around doing laundry and hanging the clean items on lines near by.

As they walked, Tabitha looked up at Lo, she was so short that even Lo was taller than her. "It's no trouble. My home isn't far from here either, so it's on the way." She said softly. For a hardened warrior her voice was so tiny, like her frame. "The healers home is on the otherside of town. Once she deems your friend able to move around they'll bring him by. If she wants to keep him over night I can stop by tomorrow morning and show you the way to the healers home." She explained as they dodged laughing children.

"I don't know how often she comes by, exactly. I'm usually out on patrol. But I believe she comes once every few months. It's a long journey to do much more often than that."

The guest house was just beyond that, but the windows over looked the square. It was constructed in much the same manner as a very small Inn. it had 3 rooms in all with a sizable sitting area downstairs. Each room had two small beds with a trunk at the end of them.

"There's a housekeeper that tidies things here each morning. She'll be by at sun-up if you have need of anything. Otherwise, you're welcome to wander the village. But I will warn you.... most of these people have been shunned by the very villages you come from. In general most people are friendly but... don't expect them to be your friends right off."

---

Brynoff led the way through the house to a large wooden door. Opening it revealed a large bed and the walls decorated in the ways he was used to growing up in Thunderknoll. Even the smells were remenicient of home and Sigurd would not help but notice it.

He walked over to a large table that had three large chairs by them. He plopped himself down in one. "Have a seat! Make yourself at home. Anything for a brother of the Mana Well." He said with a warm smile.
Back to top Go down
Lopiena

Lopiena

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert   Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert - Page 11 EmptyMon Jul 09, 2018 2:03 pm

Following Tabitha is an interesting experiencefor Lopiena; it's rare that anyone is shorter than she is, and Tabitha is clearly a well trained warrior. But walking through the village square is even more fascinating. Between the happy children and the construction of the buildings, everything is so reminiscent of home...only different. Hearing about how these nice people were shunned by their own villages only makes her feel sad, and she immediately starts trying to think of any villagers from Sylva who randomly disappeared in her lifetime. None come to mind...well except a few who left as guards on a traveling caravan, but that's different. Nodding to Tabitha quietly, Lo enters the house and puts down her pack and staff. "Thank you for showing us the way, Tabitha. In light of...well, everything...I think I'll stay here and save the exploring outside for later. Unless you want to explore together?" Looking from Ashwyn to Cirro, Lo shrugs. "I'm sure we're all tired, but I'm up for adventure if you are."
Back to top Go down
Alan_Dietrich
Moderators
Moderators
Alan_Dietrich

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert   Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert - Page 11 EmptyMon Jul 09, 2018 2:16 pm

Sigurd took in the sights as they settled in what he assumed was Brynoff's den. Walking up to the table he allowed Brynoff to sit but held his hand up in quiet refusal "Appreciated but unfortunately this isn't an issue that I can sit for.." his voice was soft, but still official sounding. "Given your time in Thunderknoll you no doubt experienced what seems to be our.. curse." he paused for a moment to prepare himself "My mother has been infected, afflicted, whatever you would want to call it with the illness and has been confined to her chambers for the time being until she grows too feral, then she'll be moved to a cell.. and then.. well you know how it works.."

His fists clenched and unclenched as he talked, hardly the stoic political posture he showed to the elves and faries. "I need to know what, if anything you know... I don't imagine it's much or else I wouldn't be on this fools errand looking for a cure... But you're in an advanced age and you don't seem to have been effected by it. All I know is that we don't know how it spreads, if it even is a disease... I have had to slay my own people, men, women, children, elders and I will be damned to the hells if I'm going to kill my own mother!"

He placed a quivering hand to his brow and sighed "Our people are going feral and we still don't know why..."
Back to top Go down
AniRedFox
Moderators
Moderators
AniRedFox

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert   Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert - Page 11 EmptyMon Jul 09, 2018 2:36 pm

Ashwyn looked around the house and nodded her approval. It would be nice to sleep in a bed instead of the cold stone floor again. She turned as Lopiena mentioned exploring and she smirked. "I think I'll just wait here for Sigurd. But you two should go. It would probably do you both some good." She winked before heading up the stairs to explore the rooms with Pip dancing along behind her.

Cirro turned to Lopiena and shrugged. "I'm up for exploring. It would be nice to stretch my legs after that long ride." He said with a smile.

---

Brynoff frowned a bit as Sigurd refused to sit. He leaned forward as he began to speak. When he spoke of his mother becoming afflicted, his expression darkened. He nodded slowly, bringing a hand to his temple and rubbing it. He remained silent for a moment before sighing.

"Yes... yes I know of it. I lost both my parents to it. My father turned when I was a pup and he killed my mother before anyone could come to her aid. Almost killed me too." He leaned forward, propping himself up by his elbows on his knees. "The thought of Lorah ill...." he shuttered and shook his head. "I'm so sorry to hear that."

He looked back up at Sigurd. "I'm even more sorry to say that you probably know more than I do on the subject. I've never known why the curse takes someone. There've been theories over the years, of course. Someone wasn't pure enough. Someone angered the gods. Someone betrayed someone else. I don't know which is true... if any of them are." He shook his head. "As for my advanced years.... I have no idea why it hasn't caught up with me yet. But I live in fear every day that it will." He stood and approached Sigurd. He placed a hand on his shoulder.

"I've been where you stand. I've killed brothers and sisters of our kind too when they turned. I know what that does to a person." He squeezed Sigurd's shoulder before moving away to a large shelf that held several bottles of liquor. He poured two large mugs of a golden liquid. He brought them back over to where Sigurd stood and offered him one.

"To our fallen brethren... and to your mother." He held out the mug to him and held his own in front of him.
Back to top Go down
Lopiena

Lopiena

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert   Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert - Page 11 EmptyMon Jul 09, 2018 2:44 pm

Laughing at Pip dancing up the stairs, Lopiena nods to Ashwyn. "Enjoy some rest...and..." turning, she smiles shyly at Cirro. "I think a walk would be nice, that was a very long ride. As long as we stick together." Placing her staff down next to her pack...she hates to walk around a new area essentially defenseless, but the silver in her staff could cause a riot in a place like this...Lo offers Cirro her arm. "If you would lead? I don't even know where to go."
Back to top Go down
Alan_Dietrich
Moderators
Moderators
Alan_Dietrich

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert   Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert - Page 11 EmptyTue Jul 10, 2018 3:07 pm

Sigurd sighed, but what else did he expect. Had there been information to be obtained he was sure it would have been passed along long ago... Taking the glass he brought it to his lips "My mother isn't dead yet, Gods willing I'll stop that from happening.." he said before drinking deeply from the mug.

He was no farther ahead than he started, clearly the disease wasn't related to the age of the person.. what could it be. What is the cause.. the root... It plagued his every waking thought though he kept it from his allies. He'd seen what the affliction does to his people, if someone as well trained as Brynoff or himself were ever to be infected the result could be disastrous...
Back to top Go down
AniRedFox
Moderators
Moderators
AniRedFox

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert   Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert - Page 11 EmptyTue Jul 10, 2018 3:45 pm

Brynoff emptied his glass as Sigurd drank from his. He set the empty glass down and then turned to Sigurd. "I take it, since you wanted to speak alone, that you haven't told your companions about the plague of our people?" He asked.

He sighed and shook his head. "Not that I blame you. It's...embarrassing. Debilitating. Confusing as all hell." He walked over to the window and looked out at the village beyond. "Only a handful of my closest confidants know here. Just in case I were to ever... well... you know. I had to have certain contingencies in place."

He looked over to Sigurd. "I'm sorry I have no information for you. If there is a way to cure us of this affliction .... well.... I pray to Selune that there is. May she have mercy on our souls." He said with a sigh.

---

Cirro chuckled at Lopiena's request for him to leave. "I'd be happy too. Though I think this is a case of the blind leading the blind." He smirked.

He offered his arm to her and once she took it he led them out of the house and through the village.

It was small but lively. There were families everywhere. Children playing. Older children helping parents with various tasks. Women tending gardens or doing laundry. Men chopping wood for fires or working large forges. There were tailors, grocers, farmers and a hundred others just living normal lives.

"It really is amazing. That these people can live so happily in this place, after being shunned from their homes." He said softly with a smile as they watched.
Back to top Go down
Lopiena

Lopiena

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert   Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert - Page 11 EmptyTue Jul 10, 2018 4:14 pm

Looking around in open wonder, Lo is astonished at the sheer number of families here, especially children. "I had no idea there would be so many...and to think that they were all chased out of their homes, shunned by their families...it just makes me so sad. I can’t imagine what sort of thing they had to go through to get here...I had to fight to get out of my village, shunned or not."

Thinking of her own village, Lo watches Cirro as they walk along. She looks like she wants to say something, but waits until they're almost on the outskirts of the small village before finally speaking. Finally turning to him and smiling nervously, she indicates the more open area and leads him a little further away. "You mentioned you prefer a bit of privacy, hopefully this will do." Smiling again, she looks away and tries to talk without being overly awkward. "Uhm. I've been thinking about this a lot over the last couple of days, and...I want to apologize again. I never meant to hurt you. I know it might seem strange but..." Pausing, Lo almost reaches for her hair but forces her hand back down. "Ok. You've heard a bit about my upbringing. I'm not using it as an excuse but maybe it'll help explain a few things. All my life, I've done things, accepted things that I didn't really agree with but went along with because it's 'tradition' and who am I to try to change the way things have been done for centuries. Only...I learned just a few days ago that my entire life, everything I've belived, everything I've accepted was a lie. I don't know what to think anymore, or what to believe in. I'm still trying to figure out where I fit in all this mess, but I'm loving this new freedom! I've had enough of bonds to last a lifetime, and I'm not going back to where I began. The reason I'm telling you all of this is so you can understand why I seem so...I don't know, flighty and indecisive? But it's not an excuse, I still live with the results of my bad decisions...and...I hurt you, Cirro. I didn't mean to, but I crossed your boundaries. Boundaries are what keeps us from hurting each other, and...I'm still learning the difference between bonds and boundaries. You have boundaries for a reason, and you should never feel like you have to apologize for yourself, and especially not for my actions...and...well, what I'm trying to say is..." Finally taking a deep breath after that long speech, Lo shyly looks up at Cirro. "I'd like to start again. Really get to know you, go as slow or fast as you're comfortable with. I still don't know if this will work, but I want to give it a try and..." Suddenly looking even more nervous and awkward than usual, Lo flashes him a grin and awkwardly sticks out her hand in the first part of a human handshake. "Hi. My name is Lopiena, most people call me Lo."
Back to top Go down
Alan_Dietrich
Moderators
Moderators
Alan_Dietrich

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert   Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert - Page 11 EmptyTue Jul 10, 2018 5:31 pm

"My mate knows, but that's all. Lopiena is too young to understand, Zane too paranoid and the fairy... well I could care less about what he thinks or does so long as it doesn't endanger the rest of the party." Sigurd took another drink "Ashwyn would know what to do should the need arise..." Sigurd stood in silence for awhile nursing his drink his personal journey was proving a more daunting task than he had originally thought. "Thank you for your hospitality Brynoff... I'll see myself back to the guest house.." He downed the last of the drink and set the glass on the table beside Brynoff's before excusing himself out the door.

Alone with his thoughts he walked quietly through the village, not really sure on the direction to take but he'd pick up the scent of his comrades soon enough but for now it was a nice evening for a walk.
Back to top Go down
AniRedFox
Moderators
Moderators
AniRedFox

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert   Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert - Page 11 EmptyWed Jul 11, 2018 8:13 am

The air was growing chilly as the sun set. Smaller children were being brought inside. Hunters were returning with their catch for the evening meal. Shops were closing up for the night. Everything around them was beginning to wind down. The occasional sound of howling could be heard throughout the village and the occasional wolf would run by, but most of the people seemed to prefer their human form.  

Sigurd would easily be able to pick up the scent of his companions and be able to follow it through the village to the guest house. In the square just before the house, now mostly cleared out, there would be a woman sitting on the edge of the well. She's pulling at the rope that holds the bucket designed for pulling water from the well and struggling with it. Her clothes are quite common and obviously old and mended several times over. She has a lovely face but keeps her gaze downward as she works. Beside her is a toddler playing with three old and worn blocks. The toddler is human, except for a long wolf tail that is black as night.

[Not that it needs said, but Sigurd can choose to interact with the woman or simply walk on by and head towards the guest house]

---

Cirro listened to Lo silently. He didn't want to interrupt her as she was obviously very bothered by what happened. Despite his embarrassment at the subject and the memory of what he saw her doing, he willed himself not to blush or look away. When she finally stopped, and introduced herself, he laughed softly. He nodded pointedly and stuck his hand out to hers, shaking it.

"It's a pleasure to meet you Lopiena. I'm Cirro, but my friends call me Bee." He chuckled.

"Listen... I ... I don't blame you for anything. And... even though the concept of... of an open relationship... is foreign to me. I... I can't begrudge people what they want. It isn't fair of me to do that. It's different for fairies in general. I mean... pixies, especially, are known for being promiscuous. But... it's hard to explain I suppose. Promiscuity isn't seen as wrong to us. It's... just somethjing that one does. Well, at least that's what the pixies believe. However, it rarely means anything. Friends might play around casually or a pixie might play around with a stranger passing down the road. But it's never something so.... intimate. When a fairy chooses a life partner... or rather... when they choose to pursue a life partner then their life becomes chaste. If they've found someone they wish to pursue, they dedicate themself to that pursuit.

"I understand that humans are different." He continued. "I don't have much experience with them, to be perfectly honest. I mean... I've observed plenty of humans but... never befriended one. So this is all still new to me." He smiled at her. "And what happened during your ceremony... I... I never expected something like that would happen. I'm glad you don't regret it. And I don't either but...it was very much outside of my nature." He said with an embarrassed grin.

"I'm... glad that you like me. I'm quite fond of you as well. But... I don't want to intrude on anything. and... well, goodness knows Sigurd and Ashwyn aren't exactly fond of me." He slumped slightly as he admitted that. "All I'm trying to say is.... I would very much enjoy getting to know you better, but I don't want to form a wedge in something else. If that makes sense..."

Last edited by AniRedFox on Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Lopiena

Lopiena

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert   Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert - Page 11 EmptyWed Jul 11, 2018 9:34 am

Listening quietly to Cirro's explanation of the differences between pixies and fairies, promiscuity and intimacy, Lopiena tries not to flinch. Sounds awfully similar to something one of the busybodies in her village had told her once, though that hadn't been delivered with the kindness and genuine caring Cirro is displaying right now. "Humans are...different. Even from each other. What's ok to one group would be horrible to another...it's all in the upbringing. In my village, most girls honestly believe that there's some 'special someone' just waiting to make her life amazing. I think that’s a load...you make your own life good or bad, waiting on someone else will only lead to disappointment. Gramma says love is a myth, something some sap made up to fill a void in her life. But I know love is real, I've seen it in others, watched it unfold, just never thought it was a remote possibility for someone like me. The ceremony was...incredible. I never would have done anything like that on my own, but I wanted it so badly and it felt so right! Definitely no regrets there...but yeah, outside my nature too..." Pausing, Lo grins up at him. "This is all new to me, too. I don't know what I'm doing, what's going to happen next, or anything. And..." sighing, Lo looks out over the desert. "Honestly I don't know what to make of it all. Sigurd and Ashwyn are so special to me, they've opened my life to the possibly of freedom that I didn't know could happen...as well as other stuff...but anyway. I don't know about a wedge, but I think...I don't know what I think." Looking up at Cirro again, Lo appears slightly worried. "Maybe we would go back, try to talk to them? They're important to me, and I don't want to my actions to cause a rift between us...or them with you...or...Gah! I'm so confused!" Giving in to her nerves, Lo pulls on her hair hard and looks for all the world like she wants to just find a place to hide and figure this out in privacy...but this matters to other people, and just hiding will only make things worse. Besides, every instinct is screaming to be held, to be close to someone. Not looking up, Lo holds her arms to her body and shivers. It's not cold yet, but... "Cirro? Would you be willing to hold me? Just for a little while..."
Back to top Go down
Alan_Dietrich
Moderators
Moderators
Alan_Dietrich

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert   Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert - Page 11 EmptyWed Jul 11, 2018 11:07 am

Walking through the streets was calming for his mind, he watched as the residence passed him and offered them a kind smile whenever their eyes would meet. He was met with some puzzled looks as he definitely wasn't dressed as one of their kind, a shining breastplate under a tattered cloak. He was amazed, although every person here had to leave their homes for fear of either loss of control or fear of being hunted or what have you they all seemed to live quiet peaceful lives. Sigurd imagined this is what Thunderknoll was like before the illness started.

As he walked he noticed a woman struggling to obtain well water, not really in the mood for any more conversation he just pointed his hand towards her using his mage hand to assist her in pulling the bucket from the water, it would be obvious to her that she had otherworldly help but Sigurd continued past not wanting to interrupt her evening.
Back to top Go down
AniRedFox
Moderators
Moderators
AniRedFox

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert   Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert - Page 11 EmptyWed Jul 11, 2018 1:15 pm

Not expecting the extra help with the bucket, the woman had been pulling with all of her might to pull it up to the surface. When Sigurd's mage hand helped her with the load, it suddenly came faster than she had expected. The bucket flew upwards, splashing her face and causing her to trip. She fell backwards and the bucket emptied all over her and the toddler.

The child spluttered, shocked, then began to cry as the cold water chilled him. The woman spluttered herself and struggled to stand, now struggling with wet clothing. She managed to roll to her side and began trying to comfort the toddler.

---

Cirro sighed. "I don't know what to think either. " He smiled. He moved forward and wrapped his arms around her. "Why don't we just let things play out? We're all adjusting to a new world, right? Maybe... maybe you need to learn what it is to be free before you can learn what it is to have a relationship? Maybe I need to learn the same thing."
Back to top Go down
Lopiena

Lopiena

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert   Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert - Page 11 EmptyWed Jul 11, 2018 1:59 pm

Melting into Cirro's embrace, Lo smiles. "I think...you're right, there's so much to learn right now and with everything else going on it would be a distraction. But...it sure is a nice distraction." Leaning in closer, Lo wraps her arms around him. They fit together surprisingly well; she's still well under his chin, but at least she can get her arms around without straining overly much. Closing her eyes, Lo just takes a moment to relax. She'd been so worried about all of this over the last couple of days, topped with worry about Zane, has made her a bundle of nerves and just relaxing is almost her undoing. She can almost feel the tears rising up already...none of that! Taking several deep breaths, breathing in his scent, feeling his form beneath his clothes calms her a bit. Finally relaxing and releasing him, she smiles and steps back. "But you said you wanted a walk. Where to? I've had enough of sand for the day, but the fields or the village or...wherever you want to go."
Back to top Go down
AniRedFox
Moderators
Moderators
AniRedFox

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert   Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert - Page 11 EmptyThu Jul 12, 2018 7:52 am

Cirro chuckled. "I know what you mean. Unfortunately I have a feeling we'll be dealing with sand for quite some time." He looked around the village.

"At least this place has vegetation. I mean... not much but... it's better than endless dunes." He shruged and looked down at Lo. "I guess we can just wander. Maybe we can find the healer where Zane is."
Back to top Go down
AniRedFox
Moderators
Moderators
AniRedFox

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert   Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert - Page 11 EmptyThu Jul 12, 2018 8:12 am

After Lo and Cirro left, Ashwyn began exploring the guest house. The second floor landing was mostly open, looking down at the common room below. It lined the room and had the doors to each of the bedrooms off of the landing.

She walked casually along, poking her head in each room as she went. They were mostly the same. With multiple beds in each room.

Pip hopped and tumbled along behind her, playing some hidden game with himself.

Having made the full circle and not found anything of particular interest, she finally selected a room and walked into it. It held 4 beds, same as the other rooms, but this window over looked the square. One of her favorite tasks back home had been to people watch from the window. Not that she particularly liked people but... it was interesting to watch them as they lived their lives. Oh sure she told herself that it was to watch her own back, and that wasn't a complete lie. But... she also found herself watching folk and imaging what kind of life they led. Which of course then led to her comparing it to her miserable and lonely life.

She smiled at her own inner thoughts. Miserable and lonely. Well, at least that part of her life was over. She removed her pack and set it at the foot of the bed nearest the window, then she sat on the sill and looked out. She setting sun washed the sky in beautiful reds and oranges and blues. It was the most beautiful sunset she'd ever seen.

Pip jumped up into her lap and she smiled, petting his head.

"One thing about the desert Pip, the sunsets are beautiful." She said with a sigh.

Pip yipped at her in reply and curled into her lap.

She smiled at him and leaned her head back against the sill. Her mind drifted to her parents. What would they think if they saw her now? She'd like to think they'd be proud of her and her accomplishments. She wished they could have met Sigurd. Actually she wished a lot of things. She sighed and shook her head.

"Well... that's enough of that." She said to herself, sitting up. No sense reminiscing over something that was passed. She lifted a now sleeping Pip and placed him on the foot of the bed before moving over to her pack. She pulled out her daggers and a whetstone and began to sharpen them.
Back to top Go down
Lopiena

Lopiena

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert   Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert - Page 11 EmptyThu Jul 12, 2018 8:53 am

Wandering the village with Cirro is both awkward and enjoyable at the same time. She's not quite used to his mannerisms, and she's always slightly uncomfortable in new places, but as more folk go inside Lo starts to relax a little more, just enjoying the scenery and the company. It's so strange...not that long ago, if someone had told her she'd be walking through a village with a man, she would have laughed...or fled, depending on which village and which man. Being with Sigurd and Ashwyn had increased her confidence a hundredfold, and even as their strange new relationship unfolded she found herself wondering why they put up with her. They'd been bound together in this mission, sure...but it had blossomed far beyond simple companionship brought on by shared experiences. Or maybe it was the shared experiences that brought them together...which explains the awkwardness with Cirro. He'd come in late under the most unfortunate of circumstances, and he's still trying to overcome the actions of others while trying to find his own fit in their already tight knit group. Looking up at his face from time to time, not sure what to say or do, Lo considers how things have gone so far. She certainly hasn't made it easy for him, but he stood by all the same. She thought maybe he'd had feelings for her, but...she wasn't sure what to make of that, as her own feelings were a jumble of fragments trying to form a complete picture of...something. Sigh...maybe it is a wiser choice to go slowly, take things as they come and not worry about the rest. Looking back up at him, she smiles shyly. "So...when we first met you'd mentioned having questions? About what?"
Back to top Go down
Alan_Dietrich
Moderators
Moderators
Alan_Dietrich

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert   Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert - Page 11 EmptyThu Jul 12, 2018 9:19 am

Sigurd watched as the water came out of the well faster than he had anticipated and averted his gaze quickly, she must have really been pulling on that rope... No good deed goes unpunished. Embarrassed he just picked up his step slightly and continued on his way.

It wasn't long before he followed his nose to the guest house. It was nice for the most part, rustic compared to home. Walking inside he made his way through admiring the structure and decor. Sigurd found himself in the bedrooms when he finally saw Ashwyn again. "How is it that I always seem to find you in some sort of bedroom" he laughed to himself.
Back to top Go down
AniRedFox
Moderators
Moderators
AniRedFox

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert   Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert - Page 11 EmptyFri Jul 13, 2018 7:17 am

Cirro chuckled. "My, that seems like half a lifetime ago, doesn't it?" He smiled.

"I've always wondered how a druids magic works. Fairy magic seems to be very similar, as we both draw on nature. Have you always had a connection to nature?" He asked as they walked through the emptying streets.

---

Ashwyn heard the door open downstairs and could immediately distinguish Sigurd's footfalls. When he entered the room and spoke, she smiled up at him.

"Just lucky I guess." She winked at him.

She raised her dagger, inspecting the newly sharpened blade. Then she flipped it around in her hand and pushed it back into the sheath at her back. She stood and walked over to where Sigurd was.

"Is everything alright?" She asked, her face displaying a level of concern.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert   Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert - Page 11 Empty

Back to top Go down

Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert
Page 11 of 22Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 16 ... 22  Next