Legends of Whimsy

A home for amazement and fun for friends and family!

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16
AuthorMessage
Lopiena

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert   Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:21 am

Listening to the wind and the conversation, Lo shudders to herself at the mention from 'a few minutes to a few days.' They don't have that kind of time! But hearing that it might not be natural...

"A challenge? Yeah! But I haven't learned wind yet...what do I do?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AniRedFox
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert   Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:37 am

Jacquelyn smirked. "Just feel." She took Lo's hand and pushed it down into the sand. It was still hot from the days sun and prickled at the skin.

"Focus on the earth. Focus on the way it moves. Do you feel it? The sand flows, like the passage of water." She closed her eyes, letting the feeling of the earth wash over them. "Now, push it up. Feel the wind. You don't need to make it. You just need to calm it. It's like putting out a fire. It needs to be smothered. Do you feel it? It wants to push. Don't let it." Jacquelyn was sweating from the effort of fighting the storm. Lo would feel the strain as well.

"You're right, Brynoff. This isn't natural wind. It's... it's fighting us." She pushed her hand and Lo's further into the ground and grit her teeth as she strained.

[Druid Magic Check: Rolled 11+5+1= 17. Lopiena must roll a D20, add her proficiency and WIS modifier. Total will be added to Jacquelyn's total]
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://legendsofwhimsy.forumotion.com
Lopiena

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert   Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:49 am

Listening to Jacquelyn's words, Lo pushes her hand into the sand and feels the earth beneath her, the sand that is part of the earth, and the wind moving above the earth and through the sand. Like smothering a fire... Lo had always been taught that one does not control the elements, it's more the art of gentle persuasion. Feeling the wind, thinking of it as a fire...Lo focuses on the movement itself, feeling the power behind it, then projecting calm upon the raging wind.  There's no need for all this fury. The day is beautiful, the earth is warm, the air rests upon it like a blanket of peace. But there's another force flowing through the wind...something doesn't feel right, something that is projecting rage in the same way Lopiena is projecting peace. That's no element...that's something else!  Pushing against this secondary force, Lo grips Jacquelyn's hand in her own while pressing her other hand further into the earth.

(Rolled a 17, woo! Plus 3 WIS mod =20)

Last edited by Lopiena on Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AniRedFox
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert   Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:07 am

[Combined power is 37. Success!]

Slowly, though it was a strain on both of them, Jacquelyn and Lopiena began to calm the storm.

Brynoff and Sigurd would notice that the tarp was becomming easier to hold as the wind settled and the howling of it began to lessen over time.

It took a good hour, but finally the winds came to a stop. They sat in silence for a long while, just waiting.

Finally, Cirro poked his head out from his protective place in Lopeina's shirt and looked around. "Is... is it over?" He asked.

Ashwyn, still holding Pip close, ducked her head out from the tarp and looked around. There was still a very slight breeze, but it was calm.She nodded. "I think so."

Jacquelyn slumped against the cart, finally pulling her hands from the sand. "Damn... that was a strong spell." She turned to Lo. "Good work kiddo. I wouldn't have been able to do it without you." She winked.

Brynoff huffed, angry at the circumstances. He pulled the tarp up and began rolling it. Once in a rough ball and tossed it to the floor and glared at the horizon where the spell came from. "I'd say that settles it. Kakerot knows we're out here. He knows we're coming. And he's playing with us." His fists clenched.
Back to top Go down
Lopiena

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert   Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:16 pm

Panting slightly, Lo tries to get up but focusing on the spell for that long really took it out of her. Slumping against the cart, she grins wearily at Jacquelyn. "Couldn't have done it without you, either. That's a new one on me...ugh." Holding her head in her hands, Lo tries to release the tension in her head and body. When Brynoff rolls up the tarp, she starts getting up to help but has to stay on one knee for a moment, just trying to get her bearings again. Finally up, she looks worriedly between Jacquelyn and Brynoff. "How close is he? What more can we expect?  I don't know if I can do something like that again, but if we need to fight I'll fight."
After a long moment of hesitation, Lo picks up her staff and looks out across the desert. "For now though...perhaps we should look for Tabitha and Gazeem, make sure they're ok before the next storm. I'm a little afraid of what Kakerot is going to throw at us next."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alan_Dietrich

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert   Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:39 pm

Sigurd let the tarp go when Brynoff started to roll it up, he shifted back to his human form and sighed. "so much for the element of surprise.." if they had to go toe to toe with this guy and he has that kind of magic, He didn't feel like they had much of a chance. Sigurd would have felt much better if t had turned out to be illusion magic but it was far to real.

"We don't have time to relax, we have to unbury the other others and now double time it to where we need to be. If he knows where we are then it won't be long until he strikes again."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AniRedFox
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert   Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:28 pm

Brynoff nodded to Sigurd. "Agreed. We can't afford to waste anymore time." He immediately threw the cart back over and began yanking items out of the sand and all but throwing them into the cart.

Jacquleyn frowned. "This doesn't seem right. I mean.... that spell was some SERIOUS power. Even a super powerful magician would have had to use all of their spell power to cast something like that. I mean, even assuming he used the elements already there and amplified it, it STILL would have taken a lot." She climbed up into the completed cart. "I'd like to say he couldn't throw something that strong at us again, at least not today, but I don't want to take the chance either."

Brynoff, after finishing loading the cart and he walked up to Lopiena. "Up you go, kid." He said, lifting her into his arms and plopping her onto the cart. "You used a lot of power. You should ride up here. No since in wasting more strength trying to hold on to me." He winked. He turned to the others. "I'm going ahead to find Tabitha and Gazeem." He said, before changing to wolf form and running ahead.

Ashwyn made sure her weapons were still secure on her back and she lifted Pip, plopping him into the cart as well. "Stay here." She told him. He yipped unhappily, but did as he was told. He curled into a corner of the cart and sulked. She smirked at him and turned to Sigurd. "Go ahead with Brynoff. He'll need help digging them out." She said before climbing up to the cart and hanging on to the side.

Cirro flew over and sat on Lopiena's shoulder. "I'm sure you're family is alright. I know we'll get there in time." He said, patting her neck with a smile.
Back to top Go down
Lopiena

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert   Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:58 pm

Hesitantly trying to help Brynoff put stuff back in the cart...she's tired and he's in quite the mood, but helping with simple things is something she can do...Lo listens to Jacquelyn's worries about the strength of that spell. "You don't think he has friends, do you? If that spell was amplified by more than one person, it would explain the strength...and might give an indication of what we're up against." Digging more supplies out of the sand, Lo hands a few to Brynoff before finally just getting out of the way. He's definitively in a mood.

When Brynoff plops her in the cart, Lo sighs gratefully and settles into the cart without argument. They're in a hurry, and as worried as she is about Tabitha and Gazeem it would be better to just let the faster, stronger ones do the heavy lifting for a little while. Smiling at the pouting Pip, Lo curls up next to the pup and scratches behind his ears. "It's hard being the smallest, isn't it? Don't worry Pip, you'll grow. Just wait, you'll be stronger than me when you're done growing." Smiling to herself, Lo quietly contemplates her own frustrations. She'd always hated being the small one, and when she'd stopped growing taller she tried increasing strength but it was never enough. She still refused to stop trying, but some days...some days it's easier to just sit back and enjoy the show.

Smiling at Cirro, Lo looks out at the horizon. "I know they're ok, I just wish...I wish a lot of things. But I'm sure they'll be able to hold their own, as long as we get there soon!" Glancing down at her hands, Lo bites her lip in worry and speaks softly to Jacquelyn and Cirro. "I...don't know if I have the strength to do much more, but I'm going to do everything I can for them...and...well, let's go!"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert   

Back to top Go down

Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert
Page 16 of 16Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16