Legends of Whimsy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Legends of Whimsy

A home for amazement and fun for friends and family!

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Chapter Two: In An Elven Way

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 17 ... 25  Next
AuthorMessage
DungeonMaster
Admin
Admin
DungeonMaster

Chapter Two: In An Elven Way - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapter Two: In An Elven Way   Chapter Two: In An Elven Way - Page 10 EmptySun Jan 21, 2018 8:08 pm

Zane wakes from his unconsciousness in a daze. But almost immediately he is gripped by the fear of the creature again. He begins beating at the wall where the door was, shouting about needing to be let out.

[Zane is still Frightened]

The Grimstalker begins swinging it's limbs wildly in its anger. It swings one elongated clawed hand at Sigurd and the other towards Ishal. Unfortunately for it, the claws clang against Sigurd and Ishal's armor, leaving them unharmed.
Back to top Go down
AniRedFox
Moderators
Moderators
AniRedFox

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Two: In An Elven Way   Chapter Two: In An Elven Way - Page 10 EmptySun Jan 21, 2018 8:08 pm

Forcing herself to take deep and steadying breaths, Ashwyn is finally able to push the fear away and stand up. Her body is shaking from being so tense, but it doesn't take her long to recover. She pulled the dagger from her boot and runs down the hallway, eager to help her friends.

What she sees threatened so send her cowering again, but she holds fast and remains where she is. She sees Lopinea holding a large spear.

Good, she's alive. She thinks. Wishing she had her arrows right now she grips her dagger tightly and charges in.

[Ashwyn rolls a total of 19 on her attack. Damage:3]

She feels the dagger sink into it's wooden flesh and she rips it back out before rolling a safe distance away to avoid it's lashing claws.

[Grimstalker takes 3 damage]

Ishal takes a few steps back and then charges forward, using her strong legs to lead into the air towards the creature, preparing to bring her glaive down into the creatures body.

[Ishal performs a Jump Attack. She will land her attack on her next turn.]
Back to top Go down
https://legendsofwhimsy.forumotion.com
Alan_Dietrich
Moderators
Moderators
Alan_Dietrich

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Two: In An Elven Way   Chapter Two: In An Elven Way - Page 10 EmptySun Jan 21, 2018 8:40 pm

Spitting the taste of rotting wood out of his mouth Sigurd let out roar that shakes the walls and lose items on shelves. He tenses his legs and dives again for another vicious attack

Claws: ATK:25! (20+5) 2d4+5= 4+2+5= 11 (plus whatever the Crit is going to do. Thanks DM crit chart Razz)

Bite: 2+5 (lol nope..)
Back to top Go down
DungeonMaster
Admin
Admin
DungeonMaster

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Two: In An Elven Way   Chapter Two: In An Elven Way - Page 10 EmptySun Jan 21, 2018 8:52 pm

The Grimstalker reared towards Sigurd at his roar, turning just in time for Sigurd's attack. His claws ripped through it's arm, the sound of breaking wood can be heard as it's arm shatters at the shoulder and falls useless to the floor. The shrieking reaches ultrasonic levels in it's anger and pain, which would make Sigurd's ears ache.

[Grimstalker takes a whopping 22 damage AND looses an arm! Yay for Crit Hit Effect Table!]
Back to top Go down
Lopiena

Lopiena

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Two: In An Elven Way   Chapter Two: In An Elven Way - Page 10 EmptySun Jan 21, 2018 8:56 pm

Cringing in the pain of the awful shrieking, Lopiena is unable to focus on the target and once again misses completely.  

(rolled a 14...no point)
Back to top Go down
DungeonMaster
Admin
Admin
DungeonMaster

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Two: In An Elven Way   Chapter Two: In An Elven Way - Page 10 EmptySun Jan 21, 2018 9:42 pm

Zane, still cowering in the corner, just can't seem to break away from the fear radiating from the Grimstalker.

[Zane is STILL Frightened. Dang low rolls...]

The Grimstalker swung it's remaining arm outward at the closest opponent, which happened to be Ashwyn. The creatures claws swiped as Ashwyn's back but she was able to roll away before any damage could be done.
Back to top Go down
AniRedFox
Moderators
Moderators
AniRedFox

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Two: In An Elven Way   Chapter Two: In An Elven Way - Page 10 EmptySun Jan 21, 2018 10:01 pm

Ashwyn's roll put her out of range for another close range attack with her small dagger, so she grabbed it, aimed carefully, and threw it at the creature.

The dagger lodged into the Grimstalkers side. The creature writhed to the side in pain.

[Grimstalker takes another 3 damage.]

Ishal flies forward, her glaive pointed down at the creature. With a strong slice, she cleaves the creature straight in half. The two parts fall lifeless to the ground.

They lay still for a moment before cracking and dissolving into dust.

[The Grimstalker has been defeated!
Each party member receives 1,600 XP. Welcome to level 3!! Woooo]
Back to top Go down
Lopiena

Lopiena

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Two: In An Elven Way   Chapter Two: In An Elven Way - Page 10 EmptySun Jan 21, 2018 10:13 pm

Wide-eyed, Lopiena lowers then drops the spear.  Running up to Ashwyn, she gives her a giant hug, then turns to hug Sigurd, fur and all.
"I am so glad to see you!  How did you get in here?  The door won't open!"  Suddenly remembering, she turns to Ishal.  "Thank you so much for being here.  I am so sorry for not coming to get you earlier.  There are children in here, I think they need help."
Back to top Go down
Alan_Dietrich
Moderators
Moderators
Alan_Dietrich

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Two: In An Elven Way   Chapter Two: In An Elven Way - Page 10 EmptySun Jan 21, 2018 11:22 pm

Sigurd's breath was heavy, he could still taste the rotting wood... he needed a drink... his mood lifted when Lopiena hugged him and started rambling, "Zane brought us to where you disappeared. He said there was a door, we couldn't find one... so we made one." he smiled, well as much as wolf's face could and let her talk to Ishal

He turned to Ashwyn and shifted back to his natural form, his eyes betrayed concern "what happened there? you and Zane both lost it for a moment. Well, you a moment I'm certain the gnome is still terrified..." He pulled her close and pressed his forehead against hers before turning to the Gnome "Well done runt, you saved us all once again"
Back to top Go down
Lopiena

Lopiena

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Two: In An Elven Way   Chapter Two: In An Elven Way - Page 10 EmptySun Jan 21, 2018 11:46 pm

Turning from Ishal to start looking for a torch (or something that can be used as one), Lopiena stops at Sigurd's words. "Zane brought you here?" Searching for the gnome in the dark, she finds him still trembling where the door had disappeared. Kneeling next to him, she gives him a gentle hug. "Thank you, Zane. If you hadn't brought them here I don't know what I would have done. I am so sorry for running off like that, I was a fool."
Back to top Go down
AniRedFox
Moderators
Moderators
AniRedFox

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Two: In An Elven Way   Chapter Two: In An Elven Way - Page 10 EmptyMon Jan 22, 2018 9:28 am

When the creature fell, Ashwyn slumped slightly. It was over. She felt the spell of the creature finally lift completely and she felt physically lighter. Lopeina's hug nearly knocked her off balance in shock, but she smiled and returned it just the same.

"We're glad you're alright." She watched her as she hugged Sigurd and couldn't help but chuckle. When she left him to chat with Ishal and Sigurd approached her, she felt herself clutching his arms tighter than necessary. With the adrenaline leaving her body she couldn't seem to stop herself from trembling. She took comfort in his presence and nuzzled her forehead against his, holding his arms in her own.

"I...don't know." She said, in response to his words. "It was like...it was everywhere and inside me all at once. I could hear screaming...such terrible screaming. It felt like I was drowning and couldn't find the surface...." She shivered, remembering the icy cold she felt while under the creatures spell.

When Sigurd teased Zane again, she clutched him a bit tighter. "If he felt what I did...don't fault him." She said, her voice barely above a whisper. She was still visibly shaken by the experience.

--

Ishal raised a brow at Lopinea's...excitement.  But she bowed her head in respect to her words just the same. "You've uncovered something here that has alluded us for years. I believe I should be thanking you."

Seeing the girl run off to the gnome, she turned back to Sigurd and Ashwyn. When she saw them just short of embracing....she decided against approaching them. She followed Lopiena to rouse the gnome.

--

When the creature fell and it's magics died, the visions dancing in Zane's head finally fled. He was shaking against the ground, trying to remember where he was and what he was doing. Finally he jerked upright and looked around.

"Dear gods..." he muttered and pushed himself up to run further into the room. He had just turned the corner when Lopiena found him and they crashed together as she hugged him. He let out a short scream of shock before recognizing her and then quickly hugging her back. "Oh thank the gods above that you're not harmed." He sighed in relief.

"When that door sealed and I couldn't get in...." He shuttered to think about it. "I'm sorry I let myself get distracted. I should have been paying more attention to you."

Ishal approached them, her face the same indifferent mask. "You spoke of children here. Did you see which way they went?"
Back to top Go down
Lopiena

Lopiena

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Two: In An Elven Way   Chapter Two: In An Elven Way - Page 10 EmptyMon Jan 22, 2018 10:06 am

Lopiena is so relieved at seeing everyone again she barely notices her over-enthusiasm. "You're all right Zane, I'm just glad to see you." Turning to Ishal, she nods. "The children scattered at a loud crash...I'm guessing that was Sigurd 'making' a door, because you came in shortly thereafter. But they went all directions. About ten children, ranging in age from toddlers to almost fully grown. They could be anywhere by now, but there's a path in the back that might lead somewhere." Patting Zane reassuringly on the shoulder, Lo reenters the common area to find a torch. "I am not sure if we can convince them to trust us or that it’s safe to come out, but if that door resealed on its own they might not be able to leave on their own."
Back to top Go down
Alan_Dietrich
Moderators
Moderators
Alan_Dietrich

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Two: In An Elven Way   Chapter Two: In An Elven Way - Page 10 EmptyMon Jan 22, 2018 11:11 am

He nodded "I suppose you're right..." he said to Ashwyn as he moved back to her, placing his hands on her shoulders "That creature was horrible, it's magic more so, you'll shake it off and we'll move forward. Together" he said with a loving smile.

Sigurd sighed and let himself relax, he always hoped that during a battle he would be able to relax but in nearly a century it wasn't the case. Taking stock of their situation "if these children have survived this long on their own then they'll turn up again. We have a more important mission than wrangling stray kids" He looked around, "With our entrance gone we'll have to find another way out." Sigurd paused "I guess if the turn up on the way we can help them..."

Taking a moment Sigurd took a walk around the room there were piles of items littered everywhere so why not have a look. Waste not want not.
Back to top Go down
AniRedFox
Moderators
Moderators
AniRedFox

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Two: In An Elven Way   Chapter Two: In An Elven Way - Page 10 EmptyMon Jan 22, 2018 12:38 pm

Ashwyn smiled at his words and nodded. "Yes. Together it is." She said with a happy smile. She still felt rather shaken but knowing that she'd have Sigurd's strength to fall back on was very comforting. A feeling she had not felt in many many years.

When he spoke again of the children she couldn't help but smirk. She was learning more and more that he really was just a big softy deep down. She chuckled and rose up on her tip toes to kiss his cheek while the others were looking away before turning back to the group.

"It wouldn't hurt to have a quick look around."

[A search of the room reveals the following loot:
1,128 Copper (282 Copper, per party member)
1,292 Silver (323 Silver, per party member)
20 Gold (5 Gold, per party member)
15 gallon(s) of ale (3 gp)
7 wheel(s) of cheese (7 gp)
1 lyre (30 gp)
5 Obsidian (worth 10 gp each)
5 lbs. of cooking spices (10 gp)
5 hematite (worth 10 gp each)
4 Potions of Healing
1 Potion of greater healing
1 Philter of Love
1 Bag of Holding
1 Potion of hill giant strength]

After a search of the area, they gathered all of the items and had them placed on the table. The copper, silver, and gold was split between the party members.

Ashwyn looked over the items. "There's a lot of stuff here. Any sign of a previous owner?"

Ishal looked at it all. Nothing seem specific enough. "Nothing looks reported. I'd be willing to let you all have these things, as thanks for riding out city of such a creature."

Zane beamed. "Oh! Well thank you, Ishal."

"Are you sure?" Ashwyn asked.

Ishal nodded. "Yes. Quite. It's the least I can do for you."

Ashwyn looked over all of the items. "We wouldn't really be able to carry the ale and cheese wheels. Not all of them anyway. But we can probably sell them. Possibly the lyre and gems too." She continued to look over the items until Ishal spoke up.

Ishal looked at the group. "I understand that you have other concerns, but I would ask your assistance on finding these children. At least until I can rendevu with my squad."

Zane nodded. "Of course. We can't leave until meeting with the High Druid anyway and if my sense of timing is correct we still have several hours before morning. We can't rightly leave without at least seeing that the children have a way to safety."

Ashwyn stepped forward as well. "I'm willing to do anything we need to. Especially if there are more creatures like that around here. No one deserves to suffer that creature over and over again."
Back to top Go down
Lopiena

Lopiena

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Two: In An Elven Way   Chapter Two: In An Elven Way - Page 10 EmptyMon Jan 22, 2018 1:34 pm

Still embarrassed about nearly losing her life over a few paltry coins, Lopiena says nothing when her little coin purse is added to the community pile...and is genuinely surprised to get a return, and then some! More coin than she has ever had before! Walking over to the lyre and giving the strings a tender strum (immediately wincing and fiddling with the tuning pegs), she sighs sadly. "Absolutely, we do not have the space for all of this. Selling it or giving it away is the best thing to do." Making no sign of moving away from the lyre, she looks at Ishal and Ashwyn. "My main concern with the children is how to let them know that their fears are ended. Living like this...they must have lost all trust, and need to be shown that they are still valuable. Where would they go from here? Are there reports of missing children to help find their families?" Finally satisfied with the lyre's tuning, she selects a piece of scrapwood for a torch. "Cover your eyes, everyone...this will be bright. Flame." Taking the torch, she starts heading down the dark path in the back of the room.
Back to top Go down
Alan_Dietrich
Moderators
Moderators
Alan_Dietrich

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Two: In An Elven Way   Chapter Two: In An Elven Way - Page 10 EmptyMon Jan 22, 2018 1:45 pm

Sigurd looked over the items and picked up the Potion of Giant's strength, he examined the bottle and saw a sliver of toenail floating in the glass "god I hope you don't have to ingest that part..." he slipped it into one of his pouches on his belt "If there are no objections I'll take this" he said with a smile. Walking over to the bag he started placing items inside and noticed that there was a lot more space than the exterior would make you believe "Well.. I suppose we'll just put everything else of value in this bag and deal with it when we're out of this place" he said as he amusingly watched a whole wheel of cheese disappear into the bag.

Watching Lopiena start down the hall way he called to her "Don't get lost again, wait for the rest of us will you?" he stood and tossed the bag to Zane "If you lose that bag so help me..." he growled and followed after their druid.
Back to top Go down
Lopiena

Lopiena

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Two: In An Elven Way   Chapter Two: In An Elven Way - Page 10 EmptyMon Jan 22, 2018 1:51 pm

Lopiena immediately stops, looking back...she had thought everyone else would follow! "Of course, I am not leaving you again. I couldn't even touch that thing from earlier!" Glancing between Sigurd and Ashwyn, she gives them each a searching look. "So...were you able to discuss some stuff on your walk?"
Back to top Go down
AniRedFox
Moderators
Moderators
AniRedFox

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Two: In An Elven Way   Chapter Two: In An Elven Way - Page 10 EmptyMon Jan 22, 2018 3:52 pm

When Lopeina said that she was worried about how to console the children, Ashwyn looked up after making sure her dagger was secured back in her boot.

"We'll have to worry about that once we find them." She said looking up. She turned to Sigurd as he inspected the potion and she chuckled. "Have at it. I've never been too fond of potions." She watched him stuff everything in the bag, leaning over in interest. "Wow...that will come in handy."

Zane gasped when Sigurd tossed him to him and fumbled a bit before catching it. "Wha? What do you take me for?! I do NOT loose things." He said indignantly, carefully securing the bag to his belt near his money bag.

When Sigurd spoke to Lopiena about leaving them behind, She smirked when Lo turned back, surprised that she was alone. However, when she questioned her and Sigurd about their walk, she blushed slightly. "Oh. Yes." She glanced at Sigurd and smirked. "Yes, we did." She turned back to Lopiena.

"I'm sure we can all exchange stories when we're not trapped in a secret room that may or may not have more elven nightmares in it." Ishal spoke up, adjusting her armor and steadying her glaive.

Extremely greatful for Ishal's impatience, Ashwyn nodded. "I agree. I'd feel much better if we can at least find a way out of here." She said, following Sigurd as he walked after Lopeina.

"Well, wait for me!" Zane called, hurrying after the others.

Ishal rolled her eyes and but followed after them.
Back to top Go down
Alan_Dietrich
Moderators
Moderators
Alan_Dietrich

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Two: In An Elven Way   Chapter Two: In An Elven Way - Page 10 EmptyMon Jan 22, 2018 4:20 pm

Sigurd smiled at Lopiena, "yes, we went to the Lythari district and learned quite a bit, they're sending someone to my home to look into some issues my people have been having, it was very informative." He walked past Lopiena and took the lead.

"The sooner the better" he said in response to Ashwyn
Back to top Go down
Lopiena

Lopiena

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Two: In An Elven Way   Chapter Two: In An Elven Way - Page 10 EmptyMon Jan 22, 2018 4:35 pm

Laughing to herself about Zane not losing things...he's mostly right, but only mostly...Lopiena looks curiously at Ashwyn's reaction. Information gathering is worth blushing about? Well ok then. "Ishal is right, stories later. I have no idea what to expect down there..." Suddenly returning back to the room, she grabs the abandoned spear again and grins ruefully. "It's good to be prepared...and who knows, maybe I'll be able to hit something next time." Turning back to the dark hallway, she follows Sigurd with the rest of the party into the unknown.
Back to top Go down
DungeonMaster
Admin
Admin
DungeonMaster

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Two: In An Elven Way   Chapter Two: In An Elven Way - Page 10 EmptyMon Jan 22, 2018 4:58 pm

The party walks into the dark hallway.Those with dark vision (i.e. everyone but Lo) can see but it's dim. Lo travels behind the rest with her torch so as not to ruin their dark vision.

The hallway isn't very long, and it ends in an old stone staircase heading down. Following the stairs leads them to a corridor that has an eerie glow to it. The floor here is made of natural stones, some loose and some sealed together. The walls are of a superior masonry that is very sturdy but is worn from age. While the corridor begins at a normal ceiling height of 8 feet, it soon opens up to roughly 15 feet as it continues on. It's cooler down here but not cold and the air is stale. The glow seems to be coming from phosphorescent fungus that's spaced roughly every 20 ft.

[The flooring is rough and counts as difficult terrain. So movement is slow for most. Below is a picture of what the players can see at present. The stairs are the starting point...]

Chapter Two: In An Elven Way - Page 10 Map10
Back to top Go down
Lopiena

Lopiena

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Two: In An Elven Way   Chapter Two: In An Elven Way - Page 10 EmptyMon Jan 22, 2018 6:44 pm

Scrambling over the loose stones in her bare feet, Lopiena can't decide whether to berate herself for leaving the fancy shoes behind or feel grateful that she doesn't have to navigate the rough terrain in those uncomfortable things. The phosphorescent lighting is fascinating...as they decend deeper into the hallway, she allows the torch to go out in order to the fungus in its natural state...only to stub her toe on something HARD and completely invisible to her human eyes in the dim lighting. Biting back a curse, she relights the torch and tries to focus on the task at hand. The children must have come this way, there were no other doors or passages in the common room...but how much farther can the passage lead? The masonry in the hallway speaks of ancient architecture, but what sort of building would have been built under the forest floor? It must have been built before the founding of Eventide, the huge trees could not survive if their roots had been disturbed by the construction...perhaps there is an ancient castle with a secret passage from long ago...
Head filled with stories and legends, Lopiena continues behind the group, uncertain about what is to come.
Back to top Go down
AniRedFox
Moderators
Moderators
AniRedFox

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Two: In An Elven Way   Chapter Two: In An Elven Way - Page 10 EmptyMon Jan 22, 2018 7:27 pm

Ashwyn walked carefully down the stairs. She didn't like that they were descending, but it couldn't be helped. When they turned the corner and saw the glowing fungus along the walls and the old ragged floors she frowned. "This place has been here....for centuries." She turned to Ishal. "Your people have no knowledge of this place?"

Ishal was looking at the hallway in confusion and awe. She shook her head. "No...At least, not that they shared with me."

Zane reached over to the wall and touched it carefully. "It's possible this is from a time long before your people were here. I can't be sure without research but....these walls appear to be at least 800 years old. Maybe older." He was in awe, studying the structure.

"Focus, Zane." Ashwyn said, facing the long hallway.

Zane jumped and then nodded.

"Oh...yes, of course." He said, turning to face the long hallway.
Back to top Go down
Alan_Dietrich
Moderators
Moderators
Alan_Dietrich

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Two: In An Elven Way   Chapter Two: In An Elven Way - Page 10 EmptyMon Jan 22, 2018 8:19 pm

Sigurd walked with calm deliberate motions across the uneven ground, his calloused feet moving relatively steady in their slower pace. "lords help us if that thing taught those kids how to set traps..." he grumbled to himself. As adept as he was with his claws he would kill to have any of his weapons back...

He slowed a bit so he was even with Ashwyn and gave her a gentle nudge letting her know he was there even though he knew full well she could see as well as he could.
Back to top Go down
DungeonMaster
Admin
Admin
DungeonMaster

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Two: In An Elven Way   Chapter Two: In An Elven Way - Page 10 EmptyMon Jan 22, 2018 8:41 pm

The party came to the end of the hallway and turned. Before them was an even longer hallway, similarly decorated but for one very stark difference....

Along the walls hung withered corpses. All of them nailed by various appendages to wood beams that ran the length of them.  They seemed to get fresher the further down the hall they went. Though the furthest they could see were still hundreds of years old. Upon further inspection it was clear that the first few corpses were so old that they had disintegrated and nothing remained but the nails that one held them. The hallway is roughly 70 feet long and then appears to turn to the left.

Chapter Two: In An Elven Way - Page 10 Youare10
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Two: In An Elven Way   Chapter Two: In An Elven Way - Page 10 Empty

Back to top Go down

Chapter Two: In An Elven Way
Page 10 of 25Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 17 ... 25  Next