Legends of Whimsy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Legends of Whimsy

A home for amazement and fun for friends and family!

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Chapter Five: The Tunnels

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14
AuthorMessage
Lopiena

Lopiena

Chapter Five: The Tunnels - Page 14 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapter Five: The Tunnels   Chapter Five: The Tunnels - Page 14 EmptyWed May 27, 2020 6:57 pm

Lopiena hesitated a moment before politely walking past everyone into the garden.  It had been so long since she'd felt the life of plants growing around her, and she could wait no longer.  But when she reaches for one of the plants to help it grow, her hands start trembling.  Growing plants is such a simple spell, something that she'd learned as a child...same as the simple spells that had caused a dragon to grab her, form solid rock around her, shout at her, nearly kill her friends...trying to control her breathing, Lo tries to put the fear behind her.  That was yesterday.  There are no dragons here.  It's fine.  It's fine.  "It's fine.  It's fine..."  Not even realizing she was speaking aloud, Lo knelt in the garden, breathing in the life of the plants around her, pressing her hands into the soil.  And stopped in shock.  The earth isn't screaming at her.  At first uncertain...maybe since the plants are surrounding her, it's easier to focus on the life?...Lo closes her eyes and focuses on the earth with an intensity she hadn't dared for weeks.  The earth...felt...sullen?  Why would the earth feel sullen?  Thinking hard and focusing further, Lo starts piecing together the fragments of information they'd gleaned since arriving in this underground town.  The city used to be above ground, cut into the mountainside...Barak brought the desert with him, buried the city in sand...suddenly all the pieces fell into place.  The city had been spared the great fires that had destroyed the forest.  The earth wasn't screaming because there was no reason to scream; whatever was holding back the rebirth of the forest never touched this place.  But this city had been brought to its knees in the very literal sense...removed from lofty mountain splendour to caverns down below, and very earth under the town resented it.  Lopiena would have laughed if the realization hadn't hit so hard.  300 years to a rock is nothing.  10,000 years to a rock might be worth noting, but the full life cycle of rock...the rise from volcanoes, liquid rock to solid rock to smaller rocks to sand to soil...to be reengulfed into the heart of the volcano, only to be reborn again....life, death, rebirth.  But to a rock, that cycle is eons long, not a paltry few hundred years.  One man, no matter how powerful, cannot disrupt that cycle for eternity.  The earth will renew, and whatever form it takes...desert, forest, anything between...is all part of the balance.  Confidence returning in a rush, Lo focuses back on the soil.  Here and now, this piece of earth knew it was supposed to be a mountain, and resented the one who brought it down.  Whispering to the earth, Lo reminds it of the cycle of life, death, and rebirth. You may be low now, but you will be high again.  Cold cavern, mighty volcano, lofty mountain...all of it is part of the balance.  You will be returned to glory.  If not now, then some day.

All of these thoughts took mere moments, but bringing her thoughts from simple human understanding to the timeline of the very earth itself and back again felt like an age.  Breaking from her trance, Lo looks up at the strangers sheepishly.  "I...think...your garden will be happier now.  If you don't mind, I'd like to...grow things?"  Looking around at the meager little garden, Lopiena smiled.  This is the closest she'd felt to being home in weeks, and she was going to enjoy it.  Taking up several plants that had been discarded as weeds, Lo carefully replants them.  "These may look like weeds, but they can be a valuable food source."  Whispering her spells to the plants, Lo causes the roots to grow deep into the earth, then whispers to the earth to release the roots.  What had been a bunch of scraggly weeds are now root vegetables thick as her thumb and long as her arm.  "Just peel and chop into a stew.  They don't taste like much alone, but they add depth and fullness to a good stew."  Ripping off the green tops of the root vegetables, Lo puts the roots to the side and starts tearing the green parts into shreds.  "The tops are inedible, but can be placed around the rest of the plants as mulch." Digging under some of the other plants, Lo buries some of the greenery while leaving some on top to help the soil retain moisture.  "As for the rest..."  Reaching for the plants with newfound confidence, Lo whispers her growth spells first to the roots, then the stems, the leaves, the flowers...over and over, determined to continue until either surrounded by flowers or until headache (or giant terrifying magic-sensing dragon) stops her.

(Druidcraft cantrip and Mold Earth cantrip, as many times as GM will allow). Smile
Back to top Go down
DungeonMaster
Admin
Admin
DungeonMaster

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Five: The Tunnels   Chapter Five: The Tunnels - Page 14 EmptySat Aug 14, 2021 6:36 pm

The reception of the party into their new temporary home into what has now been dubbed the Affinity Inn was warm and welcoming. Zane and Jarin bonded over history and books immediately and spent most of their free time pouring over old stories from various books they'd read over the years. Small Bell was impressed by Lo's ability to make their meager garden come alive and spent most of his time asking her for growing tips. Viirtu, Krea, and Sigurd spent their time training and sparing. All three finding it refreshing to have others of a similar strength and skill level to challenge one another. Shazer made it her goal to improve Ashwyn's flexibility and balance. She began teaching her the finer tips to her dance skills and Ashwyn took to it quite well. Cirro and Beldani enjoyed playing music together and Cirro learned many things from the older bard.

The planning began immediately. They spent most days pouring over maps, or doing recon around the city. They mapped the guards schedules, the city council meetings, where the officials resided and when they were usually about the city. They wanted to be ready for anything. Days of planning and nights of worry meant that the next few weeks were tense.

After a months time, they had gathered as much intel as they possibly could without leaving the city. The time had come to formulate a plan. The group sat around the main living area, the evening meal having just been consumed. Jarin and Zane both sat at the head of the table, which was now covered in maps and various notes. SmallBell sat in the corner near Cirro and Lopiena, nervously nipping at a piece of cheese. Beldani idly strummed his lute softly while Shazer sat between his legs tracing patterns on his knee with her delicate fingers. Viirtu stood near the windows, which had been drawn closed. Her arms were crossed over her chest and she occasionally glanced out them. Kera took up the whole of another corner, sitting with her legs spread and her elbows resting on her knees. She was leaning forward and watching a small insect as it walked across the floor. The waiting for battle had been hardest on here these long weeks. Sigurd, falling back on his days back home during planning sessions, stood at the opposite end of the table. His eyes looking over all of the surveillance and planning they'd thus far accomplished. Ashwyn paced around the table, something the group would now recognize as a nervous tick of hers. She'd glance over at the maps and notes occasionally as she paced.

The room was silent for a long while, no one sure where to begin, when Jarin finally cleared his throat.

"Alright. Here is what we know." He pointed to one piece of parchment. "The guards schedule, and when they change the guard." He pointed to another. "The directions through the labyrinth of tunnels that leads to the temple above."

"And" Zane added, holding up a list. "A list of nobles that may be more sympathetic to our cause."

Jarin nodded. "Yes. Whether that will be beneficial to us or not remains to be seen, but the knowledge is good to know."

Zane put the list down and leaned forward over the map. "The only way to the temple, is this exit." He pointed to a spot on the east side of the city. "It always has two guards on it at all times. Morning shift is always two dwarven men, Urdur Earthdelver and Loinarv Graybelt. Urdur is a working man, works long shifts and is proud of his work. Loinarv is a perfectionist and a hot head. He notices everything.

"Afternoon shift is a dwarf man and a gnome woman: Glatur Thunderdelver and Elwyse Helmyn.

Glatur is cruel most of the time, but he's also a story teller. Tends to get lost in the tale when he gets going. Elwyse is weaker than the other guards, but she's fast and tricky. She tends to leap before she looks.

"Night shift things are a bit different. The guards are much stronger. They appear to be mechanical. Some form of warforged. Our theory is they are an early version of the gold men. The first one identifies as Ruthloninhus. Observations tell us she is a curious creature, seems to like flowers, but also does not hesitate to destroy anything or anyone who wanders to close to an area they are not meant to be at. The other is called Strongeye. He focuses on money, though we don't think it's because he likes to buy things. More like a dragon and its horde. He likes the shine. He seems less violent but just as attentive. "

Jarin nodded at Zane's explanation. "Getting past them is the first challenge. If some of us could create some kind of distraction, I believe it would make it easier to get past the guards. The way I see it, we have three real options.

"One. We can try and sneak past them and into the tunnels.

"Two. We can try and run past them and pray we get into the labyrinth before they stop us.

"Or three. We can sneak in close, and try and take the guards out.

"All three options have their own problems, but I don't see another way through. I am open to suggestions however. "
Back to top Go down
Lopiena

Lopiena

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Five: The Tunnels   Chapter Five: The Tunnels - Page 14 EmptySun Aug 15, 2021 2:11 am

Weeks of preparation and planning, exploring and learning, worrying and waiting relieved with bouts of sparring and music and dance and laughter, plagued with feelings of time slipping away...how many people have died while I dare to sleep and eat and grow and dream...  It was strange at first, but as the weeks flew by Lopiena settled into a new routine filled with growing plants, teaching what she knew, and learning as much as she could.  The time matured her in a small way.  She still felt like a child standing amongst veteran warriors, but after observing their diverse crew for some time she realized that everyone contributes in different ways. Learning and practicing new spells certainly bolstered her confidence, as well.

Listening to the planning session for some time before speaking up, Lo considers the suggestions presented. "I think...sneaking past the guards might be the best option, with distractions and running at the ready just in case. I've learned a spell that can pull shadows towards us, so we're harder to see when sneaking past...and if the guards do see us, I can change into an animal form and run into the city as a distraction or something." She shrugged. "It's not ideal, but I'd rather not confront anyone directly unless we have to. The guards are just doing their jobs, and I'd prefer to save our strength for the actual problem." Looking at the lists and maps again, she sighs. "The afternoon shift of the guards might be the weakest team, but even they will not be pushovers. We'll have to be very careful about how we sneak up to them. If worst comes to worst, I can try to cast a different spell to make them think we're not worth worrying about...maybe..." she cringes a little. "It's not guaranteed and they'll be VERY mad if it doesn't work. But..." Lo smiles. "Once we get inside, I can shift the very stone of the mountain to cover our tracks. I can't do it very often, but once we get past the entrance we can take all the time we need." Glancing around the table, her smile falters as the small amount of confidence she's gained turns to hesitation. "At least I hope so. What do you think?"

<spells mentioned: Pass Without Trace, Charm Person, Stone Shape>
Back to top Go down
Alan_Dietrich
Moderators
Moderators
Alan_Dietrich

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Five: The Tunnels   Chapter Five: The Tunnels - Page 14 EmptyMon Aug 16, 2021 9:46 pm

Sigurd had spent most of his time in finer clothing than he was used to, all of the downtime and lack of combat made his armor superfluous for the past month. Tonight would be the full moon, which meant that Ashwyn and himself would be forced into their Hybrid forms for 24 hours, making any execution of plans nearly impossible until they could change back. He ran his hand under his chin and contemplated their options.

"I'm not completely convinced that the guards are inherently evil or in league with anyone. They very well could just be doing their job... However they're the only thing standing between us and getting out of here, so I'm not opposed to taking them out of the picture, quiet or not." It had been a long time since he had to fight in earnest, sparring had been all well and good to keep his muscles from atrophying from lack of use, but he missed the adrenaline rush of battle.

Watching Ashwyn pace nerviously he just shook his head and smiled "you're going to wear a spot in the floor if you keep that up, or are you nervous about tonight?" he asked softly.
Back to top Go down
AniRedFox
Moderators
Moderators
AniRedFox

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Five: The Tunnels   Chapter Five: The Tunnels - Page 14 EmptyMon Aug 16, 2021 10:15 pm

Ashwyn didn't respond right away when Sigurd addressed her. It wasn't until she turned in her pacing and happened to glance his direction and saw him looking at her. It was then that her brain processed his words and she relaxed slightly, giving him a soft smile.

"I'd be lying if I said I wasn't... Apprehensive about tonight. Well, more about the day that will follow really...." she shrugged. "Then again... I suppose it could be used to our advantage." she turned and looked over at the maps. "I tend to agree with Sigurd. I don't think any of the guards are evil on their own. However... If things go south up above and we have to turn around, it would be nice to know there are less guards waiting for us upon our return."

Jarin sighed. "Yes. That's true. However, I would also point out that if we kill any guards then any hopes of a peaceful life here will be over. It will be all of nothing for those that choose to participate."

The silence that followed was thick. Eventually Shazar spoke up." I think we're all agreed that ship as sailed. We've been here long enough. It's time for a change."

Viirtu nodded. "Agreed. It's about time we take action."

Jarin looked at each of his friends, whom he had shared his life with for so long,and he nodded. "Very well then."

Ash nodded. "well... If that's thr case..." she met eyes with Sigurd. "Sig and I will be stronger tonight than usual. We'd be at an advantage."
Back to top Go down
https://legendsofwhimsy.forumotion.com
Lopiena

Lopiena

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Five: The Tunnels   Chapter Five: The Tunnels - Page 14 EmptyTue Aug 17, 2021 1:29 am

Glancing from one worried face to another, Lo considers this group of people that have become her closest friends. If things go wrong, some or even all could die...not if she and her healing spells could help it of course, but there are always limitations. "I agree that it's time for action, and if we have a strength advantage tonight we should use it...but I still think at least trying to sneak past the guards should be at least attempted, and only kill them if we have to. Whether or not there are fewer guards if we have to return...as Jarin says, if we kill guards we can't come back anyway." She shrugged apologetically at Ashwyn, not wanting to disagree with anyone but Jarin is right. "So...what would happen if we went up late this afternoon? Not so late that we'd have to sneak past both the afternoon and night shifts, but close enough that we'll have the moon on our side as soon as we got past the guards?" Hesitating again, Lo bites her lip and glances between Ashwyn and Sigurd. "Advantages in fighting are great, but it might be best to avoid the extra attention when going through town. We might have to consider timing."
Back to top Go down
Alan_Dietrich
Moderators
Moderators
Alan_Dietrich

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Five: The Tunnels   Chapter Five: The Tunnels - Page 14 EmptyTue Aug 17, 2021 12:58 pm

Sigurd stares at Lopiena for a moment, his eyes glossed over in a thousand-yard stare as he takes her information into deep consideration.
"You may have a point..." suddenly as if inspiration struck him all at once "Wait, what if we intercept the guards on the way to their shift change, disguise ourselves with their uniforms and then do the shift change ourselves? once the afternoon shift leaves, we just go? If any of us are questioned, we know the schedule, we know why we're guarding it, so whoever is most persuasive of us can get in and out without any problem."
Back to top Go down
AniRedFox
Moderators
Moderators
AniRedFox

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Five: The Tunnels   Chapter Five: The Tunnels - Page 14 EmptyTue Aug 17, 2021 3:07 pm

Jarin considered Sigurd's words. "Hmm... an interception could work....But the minute we leave someone would notice that the exit is un guarded The exit is in full view of the upper teirs of the city. While no one pays much mind to the guards, they will notice if there are suddenly no guards there."

"Two people could remain behind." Shazer stood up and walked to the table. She placed her palms on the table and leaned forward. "Let Bel and I stay behind. If you folks can handle the guards themselves, we can take their place and keep on duty for the whole night."

"Night?" Ash asked. "But the night shift are the Warforged. I'm not sure you two can put on enough armor to look that big."

Bel stood up and strummed his lute playfully. "Ahh, my dear elven woman, I have tricks up my sleeve that I have yet to reveal." He grinned.

Shazer rolled her eyes and smirked. "Bel can cast disguise self."

Zane frowned. "But the spell only lasts for an hour."

Bel nodded. "True. But I can also cast it as a ritual. So long as I plan ahead, I should be able to begin the ritual just before the spell is going to end and it will renew. I can do that all night."

"So.... you'll stay behind?" Ash asked.

Shazer smiled at her. "Bel and I aren't the fighters of this group, love." She winked. "But this is something we CAN do to help all of you. If we stay on duty all night then no one will be suspicious and we'll let the new guard take over when morning comes. Hopefully you'll be through the labrynth by then and turning back won't be an option anyway."

Bel nodded. "You just be sure to come back for us when that bastard is dead, ya here?" He winked.

Ash smirked and nodded. "We can do that. "

Jarin eyed Shazer and Beldani carefully. He smiled sadly at them and nodded. "Very well. Please be safe, my friends." He nodded once and then looked back at the notes. "Okay then... so that means we have to prevent Ruthloninhus and Strongeye from getting to their shift or interupting the shift once we leave...."

"That will be the difficult part. These two are not to be taken lightly." Zane dug through his notes and pulled out another parchment. "Short of...ending them...I'm not sure what we can do to keep them from being discovered during the night. I suppose some kind of sleep spell might work..."
Back to top Go down
Lopiena

Lopiena

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Five: The Tunnels   Chapter Five: The Tunnels - Page 14 EmptyTue Aug 17, 2021 3:54 pm

The look of surprise on Lo's face at Sigurd's suggestion that they take the place of the guards only increases at the idea of Beldani and Shazer staying behind. Listening to the ensuring discussion...while Disguise Self is not a spell Lo has much familiarity with, she's seen it done at least once...she slowly starts nodding at the idea.  "So all you have to do is stay vigilant one night, and in the morning the next shift will take over with hopefully none the wiser.  And...Zane, how long does the Sleep spell last?  If we could...I don't know how it even works, could we make the guards think they've just lost a day and go back to guarding tomorrow night without even knowing what happened?" Starting to tug at her hair, Lo starts pacing with Ashwyn. "So let's say we take out the guards using Sleep, they're out of commission while Bel and Shazer cover their shift, we go through and get to the temple...even if we're not successful, Bel and Shazer go home at the end of the shift and they should be fine.  And with success, we'll come get you."  Pausing in thought, Lo smiles.  "If we're really successful, I'm hoping this town will be raised back up and you will no longer be prisoners here...so we won't HAVE to come get you." Pacing back to Shazer and Beldani, Lo puts her hands in each of theirs.  "You've been so kind to us.  Success or fail, I wish the very best to you." Taking a deep breath, Lo turns back to Zane.  "So how does Sleep work? and..." Shifting her gaze to encompass everyone in the room, her eyes focus on Sigurd.  "How do we interrupt two strong guards from getting to their shifts without getting caught?"
Back to top Go down
AniRedFox
Moderators
Moderators
AniRedFox

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Five: The Tunnels   Chapter Five: The Tunnels - Page 14 EmptyWed Aug 18, 2021 9:33 pm

Small Bell, who usually kept to himself, finally stood up when Lo mentioned the guards going back to work as usual after all of the action. "Small Bell can help with this." He said. "Small Bell has spell. Can affect rememberings. If strong ones secure guards, Small Bell can change rememberings when morning come. Guards not know they prisoners at night."

Zane perked up at Small Bells words, as... different... as they were. "So... you're saying you have a Modify Memory spell? Yes.... yes that could work..."

Jarin nodded. "Yes, Bell is a very skilled sorcerer. I'm sure he could manage the spell but..." He frowned. "What if the guards wake up in the night. What if they manage to escape. Not that I don't have faith in your abilities, Bell, but they are quite strong and you will be outnumbered...."

"Krea will stay with Bell." Krea stood up and thumped her upper chest with a fist. "Krea will make sure guards do not escape."

Jarin relaxed slightly. "Yes. I would feel better if Bell had some backup against those two."

"Okay. Then it's settled." Zane said. "We will ambush the guards before they get to their post. Render them unconscious and secure them in some place they will not be discovered. Beldani and Shazer will take their place and guard the exit all night. Meanwhile, Small Bell and Krea will guard them and in the morning, Bell will modify their memories so they do not know anything is amiss. Well, that takes care of the first obstacle. The next thing we have to worry about is the labyrinth."
Back to top Go down
Lopiena

Lopiena

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Five: The Tunnels   Chapter Five: The Tunnels - Page 14 EmptySun Aug 28, 2022 11:41 pm

Watching the group thoughtfully, Lopiena's mind wandered for a moment thinking about Krea and Small Bell guarding the guards. As much interest Krea had in finally seeing some action, Lo was surprised that she would offer to stay behind...leaving a bit of a concern that if the guards did wake up, there might not be much left to modify the memories of! Well that can't be helped, and "ending" the guards would be much preferred over what might happen if Bell was overpowered.

Pausing to look at a map, Lo is suddenly aware that the room had been silent for quite some time. Though she is usually somewhat hesitant about breaking the silence merely for the sake of talking, in this case additional input might be valued.  

"There is a bit of logistics though...where would we hide them until their shift is over?  It would make the most sense to keep them in their respective homes, but unless they live together we'd have to split up.  If we take them out together closer to the entrance, we'd have to take them and hide them somewhere.  I don't think we can haul them to their homes without being spotted, and we definitely don't want to bring them here if something goes wrong."  Lo pauses a moment to glance around the Inn that has become their place of refuge.  "If we could ambush them at the entrance of the labyrinth, we could keep them within the labyrinth itself...just out of sight of the entrance, not too far back...then when their/your shift is over and their memories are modified, they just leave.  The only real challenge is how to get all of us in there, and you all..." Lo looks pointedly at Beldani, Shazer, Krea, and Small Bell... "out of there without being spotted.  It's not just the guards who keep an eye on that entrance.  As for the labyrinth itself...."

Pacing back to the table littered with maps and other parchment, Lo finds the parchment Jarin had indicated at the beginning of their planning session.  "If these directions can be trusted, we should be able to navigate it easily enough.  I think this is when your...shall we say, moonlight advantage may help." Lo smiles at Ashwyn and Sigurd.  "You both can travel very fast in your wolf forms.  If you carry Viirtu and Jarin, almost everyone would be able to move through the labyrinth very quickly.  'Almost' meaning..." Lo sighs.  "I can Wildshape and carry Zane, and Cirro if you take your fairy form you could ride with anyone...but even if I shift into a wolf, I'll be smaller and slower than you.  And..." she hesitated and lowered her voice.  "I...don't even know if shifting into a wolf would be insulting to you.  I'm only trying to think of a way that I could follow your scent or something."  She tries to smile, but it looks more like a wince.  She'd matured a lot these past few weeks, yes.  But underlying that newfound confidence remained deep inner turmoil of what might have been.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Five: The Tunnels   Chapter Five: The Tunnels - Page 14 Empty

Back to top Go down

Chapter Five: The Tunnels
Page 14 of 14Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14