Legends of Whimsy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Legends of Whimsy

A home for amazement and fun for friends and family!

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 15 ... 22  Next
AuthorMessage
Lopiena

Lopiena

Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert   Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert - Page 9 EmptyWed Jul 04, 2018 10:18 am

Hiding a wince, Lo barely resists the temptation to pour the rest of her energy into Zane. He's stable, and that's going to have to be enough for now...but they need to get out of here and find help! Not waiting for a response from Sigurd or anyone else, Lo stands and strides over to the ladder. "Disagree with me all you want, but I'm smaller and lighter. If this ladder is going to break, at least maybe you can catch me." Sliding her staff behind her pack more or less securely, Lo gives the ladder a but of a shake to check for stability first, then starts to climb.
Back to top Go down
AniRedFox
Moderators
Moderators
AniRedFox

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert   Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert - Page 9 EmptyWed Jul 04, 2018 10:47 am

The ladder was sturdy, though old and dusty. It went up to the ceiling and then stopped.

[Lo needs to Roll for perception (D20 + WIS modifier). Also needs to do an DEX check (roll D20 and add your DEX modifier to the total)]
Back to top Go down
https://legendsofwhimsy.forumotion.com
Alan_Dietrich
Moderators
Moderators
Alan_Dietrich

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert   Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert - Page 9 EmptyWed Jul 04, 2018 10:52 am

Sigurd felt the potions effects start to fade, soon his muscles were back to their normal definition. He felt like he had just been lifting boulders all day and his arms were tired. When Lopiena checked in on him he just smiled "I've felt worse." He rotated his body back and forth to let his armor settle on his smaller frame again, Shifting from Hybrid and back again just to make sure nothing worked itself loose or ripped. All was good there.

Listening to Ashwyn and Zane talk, Sigurd snorted and walked over to the Gnome before hauling him up by his tunic "Listen, we didn't come this far through this much just to let you stop here because your legs are set in timbers" Wrapping Zane to his chest again with his cloak he moved to hold the ladder for Lopiena.

(should give her advantage on her dex roll with the assist)
Back to top Go down
AniRedFox
Moderators
Moderators
AniRedFox

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert   Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert - Page 9 EmptyWed Jul 04, 2018 11:52 am

[Sigurd holding the ladder does give advantage, yes (which means Lo rolls twice for her DEX roll and keeps the higher number)]

Zane looked up at Sigurd but before he could answer he was hauled up and attached to his chest. "Oh dear..." He said, shifting slightly as he was wrapped. "I never said I was giving up." He said, giving a stubborn pout of an expression to Sigurd. "Quite the opposite. I was simply correcting Ashwyn's statement that I would be just fine. Then again, I suppose 'fine' is a relative term... hmm... alright then, I concede your point. I suppose I will be fine." He said with a smile.

Ashwyn smiled and rolled her eyes at Zane as Sigurd carried him away. She was still feeling sad that he may never have the use of his legs in the same way as before, but she couldn't focus on that right now.

She watched Lo climb the ladder with a frown. Maybe there was some kind of trap door up there or something? She looked under the ladder and saw the trunk there. She knelt next to it and began slowly running her hand across it, checking the any traps that might have been installed on it from an age long past. Not finding anything, she carefully opened it.

Inside was an old metal brazier. It was tarnished and covered in dust. Ashwyn studied it carefully before reaching in and touching it. Though this strange place was cool since it was so far underground, the brazier was warm to the touch. As though a fire had only just been burning in it.

"That's strange..." she said softly.

Zane turned to look at her from his place against Sigurd. "Hm? Oh! What an amazing find!"

Ashwyn looked up at him. "What? You mean this?" She asked, holding it up.

Zane nodded enthusiastically. "Oh yes! That's not just an ordinary brazier! That's a Brazier of Commanding Fire Elementals! Be very careful with it. It can summon a fire elemental!"

Ashwyn turned back to it. "Wow... really?"

Last edited by AniRedFox on Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Lopiena

Lopiena

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert   Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert - Page 9 EmptyWed Jul 04, 2018 12:18 pm

(Roll for Dex twice, thanks! And...sigh...you gotta be kidding me. Rolled a 6 and 3. Even with +2 mod that's only 8...)

Unbalanced with the pack on her back, Lo struggles with the simple ladder. At least Sigurd holding onto the ladder keeps it from shaking too much, but the scrape on her leg received from the fall is choosing now to remind her about its existence...and it's being very insistent!  Face resolute, Lo tries to ignore the throbbing in her leg, moving slower and slower until about halfway up the ladder when she just stops. "I'm sorry...I just can't..." Embarrassed by her own inadequacy, Lo just hangs on. "Uhm. I think I should take off my pack...can you catch it?" Letting go with one hand is a mistake, though...she manages to safely toss her staff back down befoe her grip fails and she tumbles down into Sigurd.

(Bleh. Well at least it wasn't a 1)

[Perception roll of 18]
Back to top Go down
AniRedFox
Moderators
Moderators
AniRedFox

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert   Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert - Page 9 EmptyWed Jul 04, 2018 1:02 pm

Even though Lopiena lost her footing and fell off the ladder (landing on Sigurd), she was able to see something at the top of the ladder. Something that resembled a door that could be opened. Perhaps upon closer inspection....
Back to top Go down
Alan_Dietrich
Moderators
Moderators
Alan_Dietrich

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert   Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert - Page 9 EmptyWed Jul 04, 2018 3:01 pm

Sigurd stepped back from the ladder and caught Lopiena as she fell "Be careful, it's bad enough we had goo piles trying to eat us, I don't need anyone dying because of a ladder" he said with a smirk. Setting her down gently he made his way to the ladder himself and looked at the door he'd make an attempt to climb and maybe push through.

DEX 10+2= 12
Perception: 14+3=17
Back to top Go down
AniRedFox
Moderators
Moderators
AniRedFox

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert   Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert - Page 9 EmptyWed Jul 04, 2018 5:50 pm

Sigurd climbed the ladder without incident. At the top he found an old stone that swung out on a hinge. Pushing it open revealed a crawl space. It was narrow, but wide enough for Sigurd to crawl on all fours without squishing down. At the end of the space was two other hatch-like doors.

Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert - Page 9 Mapcur14
Back to top Go down
Lopiena

Lopiena

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert   Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert - Page 9 EmptyWed Jul 04, 2018 6:22 pm

As embarrassing as it is to fall off a ladder, it's still so nice to be caught by Sigurd. Grinning sheepishly at him, Lo calls out a "thank you" as Sigurd disappears into the darkness above. Though she's curious about what's up there, Lo does not want to fall off again...besides, it's not like she can see anything anyway. Sitting next to Ashwyn, Lo indicates the thing found in the chest.  "So what is that? A fire elemental braisier? Sounds interesting, but dangerous...fire elementals can be unpredictable. Or so I've heard."

Last edited by Lopiena on Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
AniRedFox
Moderators
Moderators
AniRedFox

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert   Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert - Page 9 EmptyWed Jul 04, 2018 6:34 pm

Ashwyn smirked at Lo as she tumbled off the ladder. When she sat next to her, Ash shrugged at her question. "That's what Zane said. I dont' know anything about it. But..." She weighed it in her hand. "If it can call a fire elemental, it could come in handy. Who knows."

Meanwhile, Zane was hanging against Sigurd, upside down, as he crawled. "My this is.... awkward...."
Back to top Go down
Alan_Dietrich
Moderators
Moderators
Alan_Dietrich

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert   Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert - Page 9 EmptyWed Jul 04, 2018 9:51 pm

Sigurd huffed at Zane "It'll be less awkward if you don't talk about it.." he said as he crawled his way through the crawlspace. Working his way around the corner he examines the first of the two hatches.
Back to top Go down
Lopiena

Lopiena

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert   Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert - Page 9 EmptyWed Jul 04, 2018 10:32 pm

Waiting for Sigurd's return, Lo finally pulls back her robes and examines the scrape on her leg. Well it's worse than she'd thought originally, but still no big deal...just needs to be cleaned a bit. Unpacking a water skin and handing it to Ashwyn first, Lo smiles at her. "I'm glad you're ok, and all things considered I think I got the better end of the deal...but I'm worried about Zane. I'm sure Cirro and Jacquelyn will be able to help, but I'm pretty much spent. Unless he gets proper care soon...the damage may well be permanent. I need to learn stronger spells!" Sighing, Lo takes the water skin and cleans then wraps her leg. That done, she starts looking through her pack...then scowls and punches the bag with a curse. "I left the book with Jacquelyn!" Cursing again, Lo closes her eyes and leans against her bag. "I guess what I know will have to be enough. It's not like I have the energy to do much anyway." Suddenly brightening, Lo sits back up and looks at Ashwyn. "I do recall a spell that can help you run on the walls, though. I can only cast it on others so I'll still have to climb that stupid ladder at some point, but at least you won't be in risk of falling. Interested?"
Back to top Go down
AniRedFox
Moderators
Moderators
AniRedFox

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert   Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert - Page 9 EmptyThu Jul 05, 2018 7:12 am

Zane opened his mouth to argue with Sigurd but then... decided he was right, and kept his mouth shut. The crawl was awkward enough without arguing.

The first door was made of thick iron and didn't appear to have a hinge of any kind. Upon further inspection Sigurd could see runners on the side, indicating the door would slide upwards. It was also wide, spanning the width of two doors side by side. The door was heavy and without Sigurd enhanced strength, it would require all of them pushing to get it to lift.

The door further on was made of wood and swung inward, but it had a pull string rigged up to it, clearly a trap.

----

Ashwyn chuckled at Lopiena. "Don't worry. Don't rely so much on your spells. Magic can be useful, yes. But it should be secondary. Use what's around you." She touched the sandstone walls. "Feel the life around you. Let it tell you what you need." She smiled down at her. "As a druid you probably have a deeper connection to the land than I do. Use that."

When she mentioned the wall climbing spell, Ash laughed. "I've been climbing since I was a child, Lo. I think I'll be alright." She winked.
Back to top Go down
Alan_Dietrich
Moderators
Moderators
Alan_Dietrich

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert   Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert - Page 9 EmptyThu Jul 05, 2018 11:56 am

Sigurd tapped on the iron door, it was solid, and heavy. Looking around, there was enough room for everyone to get up there and push but what about the other door... He examined it and noticed the string rigged to it. How bad could a trap be... Remembering Zane attached to him he thinks better of it. "Ash, Lo, Come up here I need your help" He called back. Maybe if they all pushed the iron door together then it would move. Maybe Ash could check the trap too.
Back to top Go down
AniRedFox
Moderators
Moderators
AniRedFox

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert   Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert - Page 9 EmptyThu Jul 05, 2018 12:29 pm

Ashwyn looked up at the sound of Sigurd's voice. "Yeah! We're coming!" She called back.

She turned back to Lo as she stood. "Okay kid, you first." She said removing part of her belt, stringing the brazier through it and fastening it back on. She wanted Lo to go first in case she fell, so she could catch her.

[Lo make another Dex check at advantage]
Back to top Go down
Lopiena

Lopiena

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert   Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert - Page 9 EmptyThu Jul 05, 2018 12:44 pm

At Ashwyn's description of climbing since she was a child, Lo grins. "Yeah me too, but there was just as much falling as climbing. Maybe more falling than climbing." Laughing to herself, Lo is about to tell stories of misadventures when Sigurd's voice echos back at them. Looking at the ladder again with a sigh, she gets back up and readies herself for the climb. Tentatively testing her leg while sticking her staff behind her pack again, Lo nods at Ashwyn. "Deeper connection to the earth...I'll try." Closing her eyes briefly, Lo imagines herself as a climbing creature, feeling the weight of herself moving along the height of the ladder instead of fighting against it. Focusing solely on how her weight shifts with the ladder, she’s able to climb it and into the crawl space without further incident. Once inside, she carefully removes her staff again so it doesn't hit anyone while she moves around. Lying it off to one side of the crawlspace, Lo turns and holds the top of the ladder for Ashwyn.

(Rolling with advantage...5 followed by 17! Yay! Plus 2 dexterity=19)
Back to top Go down
AniRedFox
Moderators
Moderators
AniRedFox

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert   Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert - Page 9 EmptyThu Jul 05, 2018 1:19 pm

Lo climbed the ladder easily this time. Ashwyn holding the ladder. When she got to the top, Ashwyn took her turn.

[Ash DEX roll: 8+4=12. Geez what a bad roll... lol]

Ashwyn quickly traversed the ladder and stopped at the top to wink at Lo. "Much better." She said teasingly. Then she waited till Lo moved forward before slipping into the crawl space behind her.

They moved through the space to where Sigurd waited. Ash looked over the door. "Well... this will be interesting." She said, inspecting it. "It looks heavy." She looked past Lo to Sigurd. "Together then?" She asked, bracing herself on the iron door.

[All charcters need to roll a STR check. Ashwyn's roll: 9+2=11]
Back to top Go down
Lopiena

Lopiena

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert   Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert - Page 9 EmptyThu Jul 05, 2018 1:26 pm

Grinning and winking back at Ashwyn when she reaches the top, Lo quickly moves forward out of her way to stop near Sigurd and the door. "Good to know I can climb a ladder, at least. Though who knows what the next challenge will be...I might get outsmarted by a door." Grinning at Sigurd this time, Lo takes a spot to brace herself while they all push the door up.

(Rolled 17 again, I'm keeping this d20! Plus 2 strength =19)
Back to top Go down
Alan_Dietrich
Moderators
Moderators
Alan_Dietrich

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert   Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert - Page 9 EmptyThu Jul 05, 2018 6:01 pm

Sigurd smirked at Lopiena's comment and then nodded to them and started pushing against the door with all his strength "We get this door open... you check that other one and disarm that trap, if there's anything valuable to be gained from this stupid pit I want it..." he growled as he pushed.

STR: 13+3+16 (k so maybe not ALL his strength...)
Back to top Go down
DungeonMaster
Admin
Admin
DungeonMaster

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert   Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert - Page 9 EmptyFri Jul 06, 2018 7:37 am

[Total Strength= 46. Success!]

They all pushed as hard as they could against the iron door. At first it didn't seem like anything was happening...suddenly the door buckled once, went still.... and then suddenly opened. Instead of sliding up, like it appeared it would, the door hinged on the bottom and it fell open and into the room. At the same moment, the floor they were crouched on slanted, causing all of them to tumble out of the crawl space and into the room. They fell for several feet and then landed on a large wooden table, which shattered under their weight.

As the dust settled and they looked up, they realized they weren't alone. Surrounding the table were 8 kobalds. Upon further inspection, they noticed that mixed in with the broken table were several cards and a pile of gems. It seems they'd interrupted a game amongst these kobalds. Surrounding the room were various weapons and shields laying against the walls, obviously belonging to the kobalds. For half a beat, no one moved. Everyone was surprised by what just happened. Then, the leader of the kobalds glared and snapped his fingers. The kobalds pounced on the heroes and after a bit of a struggle managed to restrain them.

Sigurd was held with his arms pulled behind his back by two rather beefy kobalds. Zane was ripped from his chest and hung from a nearby light fixture. Lopiena's arms were held by a tall skinny kobald while her legs were held by a short squat kobald, suspended between them. Ashwyn had a larger kobald behind her, holding her arms behind her back, while two other smaller kobalds held each of her legs. The last kobald, the leader, paced back and forth among them.

"Who you? How you get here? Speak!" He shouted at them, his eyes settling on Sigurd.

[Everyone must roll for DEX save and then roll a D100]
Back to top Go down
AniRedFox
Moderators
Moderators
AniRedFox

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert   Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert - Page 9 EmptyFri Jul 06, 2018 7:47 am

When the door buckled, Ashwyn smiled, glad that they were able to get it to move. But her smile faded when the door fell in and the floor beneath them fell away. She reached out in front of her to catch her fall but there was nothing to grab onto. She tumbled to the side and felt her arm slam down hard on the table below.

[DEX roll: 11+4= 15]

The table crunching beneath her limited her ability to roll out of the fall, but she still managed it without too much difficulty. But she felt a sharp pain in her finger and realized it was very broken after being landed on.

Before she had time to really process her injury, she was being attacked by kobalds. She struggled in their grasp but they reacted faster than she did and soon had her pinned. She pulled against them but it was no use. As they were questioned, she glared at the leader even as he spoke to Sigurd.

---

Zane, being restricted, couldn't help with the door. When they fell he was helpless and simply tumbled along with Sigurd.

Now that he was hanging from a light he struggled with what he could but with no movement in his legs and his arms still bound from the wrappings he was forced to just dangle....
Back to top Go down
Alan_Dietrich
Moderators
Moderators
Alan_Dietrich

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert   Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert - Page 9 EmptyFri Jul 06, 2018 8:36 am

Sigurd was almost surprised to even get the door moving a little bit, but he was completely surprised by the floor giving out under them. So much for checking that trapped door... For the amount they had been falling recently he was starting to wish he was a we're at then maybe he'd have a better recovery to falling.

DEX:16

Landing on the table, Sigurd felt the wind knocked from his lungs and no sooner did he get it back and he was already held up by the kobolds. Stupid creatures, these ones were uncharacteristically bold given his experience with them. When their leader spoke Sigurd smirked "oh.. we just thought we'd drop in..." He said simply.
Back to top Go down
Lopiena

Lopiena

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert   Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert - Page 9 EmptyFri Jul 06, 2018 9:01 am

When the floor fell out from under them, Lopiena's first and only thought was for Zane...he can't take much more! Fortunately she was already close to Sigurd and she was able to reach Zane in the split second before everyone tumbled down the ramp. "Barkskin!" There...no idea if that worked or not, but it was worth a try. She'd actually learned the spell all the way back in Eventide, but had been reluctant to try it...the description made it sound far too close to the Grimstalker. One thing learned from Cirro, at least. Too bad she didn't notice Ashwyn falling on her arm...(sorry Ashwyn!)

Falling on the table surrounded by Kobolds is more than a shock! Thoughts of everything from 'eek undead Kobolds' and 'how are they still alive, everything down here is centuries old' to....well that's all the time she'd been given to think before they pounced. Though Lo struggles violently, she’s quickly overcome by the strength of these creatures. With her hands pinned, she can't even use spells! Well...if you find yourself pinned, just relax and wait for your captors to let their guards down. Right. Relax. When at any given moment they could easily rip her into pieces...

When their apparent leader looks to Sigurd for answers Lo almost laughs. Everyone automatically looks at Sigurd as their leader apparent, when really any one of them could be the leader...even Zane, if he wasn't wrapped up like a doll. Well Sigurd does sort of exude leadership skills, so it does make sense...and Lo is definitely not a leader of any type. Nope, no leadership skills here!

At Sigurd's response,  Lo smirks. He seems relaxed enough, at least. Taking a steadying breath, Lo starts looking around the room. If these Kobolds got in, there must be a way out...

(Rolled 15+2=17 Dex. Also, Barkskin is a Circle Spell so no spell slots used. If it even worked! Oh yeah, and d100=53. Not great, but not terrible...)
Back to top Go down
AniRedFox
Moderators
Moderators
AniRedFox

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert   Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert - Page 9 EmptyFri Jul 06, 2018 9:29 am

[Luckily Lo succeeded her DEX check, so instead of loosing all her teeth she mearly smacked her face when she fell. Could be worse! lol]

Ashwyn audibly chuckled at Sigurd's words, causing the kobald leader to glare in her direction. He scoffed at Sigurd's words and puffed up his chest trying to look intimedating.

"You no belong here. This Grasky lair. Grasky no invite likes of YOU here." He said, harshly.

He sized them all up and scoffed again. "Still.... could come in handy. Havn't had fresh meat in time." He walked over to Lo, sniffed at her, then moved to Ashwyn. He sniffed at her and she glared and she spit on him.

He gasped, spluttered, took a step back, and then glared at her. "This one feisty." He said with a snarl. He looked her up and down and Ashwyn felt her skin crawl at the look in his eyes.

The leader then spoke to his men. "We take females to Grasky. Better than goblin whores. Men we kill. Fresh meat make good meal." He said snarling over at Sigurd.

"Excuse me?!?" Ashwyn began pulling at her captors and glaring.

"Hush mouth on that one!" The leader shouted, pointing to Ashwyn.

The kobald that held her arms tightened his grip on her arms with one hand and wrapped the other one around covering her mouth so tight that it was difficult for her to breathe.
Back to top Go down
Alan_Dietrich
Moderators
Moderators
Alan_Dietrich

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert   Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert - Page 9 EmptyFri Jul 06, 2018 9:44 am

Sigurd's eyes didn't leave the kobolds leader for one second. He still took stock of the room the amount of enemies and more importantly his footing. Watching the leader puff up his chest to try and be more intimidating almost mad him laugh. But the second he even hinted of taking the girls to be some Grasky's plaything made his blood boil. Gritting his teeth he snarled "you think we're intimidated by some scraggly lizard? You don't know who you're dealing with."

Sigurd shifted into his hybrid form and attempts to break free of the hold.

STR: 15
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert   Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert - Page 9 Empty

Back to top Go down

Chapter Four: Barren Wastes of the Desert
Page 9 of 22Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 15 ... 22  Next