Legends of Whimsy

A home for amazement and fun for friends and family!

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Chapter Two: In An Elven Way

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14 ... 25  Next
AuthorMessage
AniRedFox
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Two: In An Elven Way   Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:05 pm

Every time they passed another couple, Ashwyn tensed up and her eyes would follow them until they passed. She had never walked through the public without being fully armed or at least wearing armor. She felt so horribly exposed here. As they traveled the long distance from the top of the tree to the ground her tensing seemed to lessen and she started to notice that no one was looking negatively at her. It was so bizarre to her.

When she was among humans she was often mistaken for an elf because of her ears, but among other elves her human side was painfully obvious. Her ears were stubby in comparison and she had a human build to her body. All of these elves were slender and graceful with long limbs. And yet, with all of these things so obvious things....no one seemed bothered. By the time they reached the exit she had stopped tensing whenever someone walked passed them.

The rain had stopped now but the ground was still quite wet. Looking out at the city, lit with the soft light of the floating light balls, it was clear that most of the inhabitants were walking along slightly raised platforms that seemed to be made of long and large roots. This kept them off of the mud and away from the standing water. The roots seem to have been formed so that they lead to every populated location like long roads.

With the sun down the amount of people outside was minimal. The nearest tree building was across a large clearing and would take at least 15 minutes to get to the base. As she walked, she glanced up to Sigurd. "I want to formally apologize for what happened earlier. In the hot springs. I...don't want you to get the wrong idea." She said, working hard to prevent herself from blushing.

Last edited by AniRedFox on Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://legendsofwhimsy.forumotion.com
AniRedFox
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Two: In An Elven Way   Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:09 pm

At the mention of the arcane language inscribed on the dagger, Zane perked up and turned to stare at her. "Really?" He followed her to her bag and when she pulled it out his eyes widened and he leaned in.

"Amazing..." he muttered, reaching out to touch it but not actually closing the distance. "May I?" He asked, holding his hands out to take the dagger.
Back to top Go down
Lopiena

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Two: In An Elven Way   Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:52 pm

Handing over the dagger, Lopiena sits back and watches the gnome examine it. Even though it's clearly very old and could have some value to it, the language means nothing to her. "Sorry for not bringing it up earlier. I just don't really have any skill with this sort of weapon and only brought it as a last resort. To me it's just another thing that I can injure myself with." She smiles ruefully, looking at her hands. They should have been a mass of scars...there are definitely benefits to growing up in a family of healers.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alan_Dietrich

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Two: In An Elven Way   Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:03 pm

Sigurd smiled, she was getting more comfortable, the rain had let up and it was getting darker so if this city had any hustle and bustle it had died down, he wondered if any shops would even be open this late at this point. It felt like a lifetime ago since Sigurd had a woman on his arm. Sure there were many women in ThunderKnoll that wanted to volunteer their services to... continue his bloodline, but they weren't some primitive society that just threw their genetics at eachother. Breeding was, under most circumstances reserved until after a specific time served in the villages military, or if your job was non-combative. Sigurd had no desires to settle down and start a family any time soon, not with the current mission at hand.

Ashwyn had mentioned the Spring again and his face seemed to have developed a resistance to turning red now as he waved it off. “on wet stone I'd say you have the grace and balance of a rock, it's a good thing you're not a rogue or I'd say find a new career.” he chuckled to himself. “Don't worry about it. I should apologize for my... proximity” he was vaguely referring to his privates being dangerously close to hers when she fell over, an inch in the wrong direction would have taken their companionship to a whole new level of awkward.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AniRedFox
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Two: In An Elven Way   Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:13 pm

Ashwyn smiled, her cheeks a pale flush, as he spoke of his proximity. "It couldn't exactly be helped in the circumstances." She glanced up at him. "I just didn't want you think that I do that sort of thing with someone I've only just met. I don't. In fact...I haven't exactly had any kind of companionship since Lucas died." She blushed a bit deeper.

"I have no idea why I told you that..." She said, her voice softer. She usually didn't talk this much with strangers. But there was something about Sigurd that made her feel...comfortable? Maybe is was that he was from the same place as Lucas and he was the last person she felt comfortable with. It was no excuse, really. What would he think of her?
Back to top Go down
AniRedFox
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Two: In An Elven Way   Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:40 pm

Zane carefully took the dagger in his hands and turned it around looking at all sides. Finally he settled on the symbols and stared at them intently for a long while. "This is a very ancient language....quite intriguing." He was mostly muttering, as he studied it. "I believe I have seen this language in one of my books....thought it will take time to translate it. I'd be very interested to see what it says though." He turned to her.

"Well, while I have no say in the matter, I do recommend you not sell it. I am not concerned with the cost. I am almost certain we can work something out.I would very much like to study your dagger when we have the time. But for now, we should get our weapons taken care of."

Zane looked up and looked around the room, suddenly looking confused. "Hm? Where are  Sigurd and Ashwyn??" He asked, only just realizing they were gone.
Back to top Go down
Alan_Dietrich

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Two: In An Elven Way   Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:44 pm

“if you were the kind of person that does that with someone they fist met, infront of other peolple without batting an eyelash, I'd have some concerns...” his eyes narrowed. “But that's not the case” She spoke of her spoke of Lucas and his face softened, despite Lucas' parents complete detest for their relationship, with everything that had happened she was essentially a widow, which in his culture meant off limits. Sigurd sighed softly, his face went back to a neutral emotion “we're traveling companions, subconsciously you want to build bonds with your team. It's natural”

Their path took them through the city proper and to Sigurd's shock there were still shops open, but he guessed it made sense seeing as different races of elves had different sleep cycles, or preferred the night to the day. He spotted a sign that pointed to the district that they were heading. Sigurd thought It was funny, a city that boasts diversity had different districts separating the different races, he assumed that it was probably a cultural style choices. Either way he found it amusing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AniRedFox
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Two: In An Elven Way   Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:10 pm

Ashwyn took in his words carefully. "Build bonds..." she repeated softly. "Yes...I suppose." She couldn't help but notice his change in demeanor. She wasn't sure why until a memory came back to her. Lucas had told her once that his people take mating very seriously. Usually when a mate dies, they don't take another partner.

Even though she and Lucas had never been...official...Sigurd probably saw her as a widow. She smiled sadly to herself as this thought occurred to her. Well...that's that, She thought. She wasn't sure why that realization mattered to her. She hadn't been interested in a relationship for over 50 years. Well, it wasn't something to worry about anymore.

Following the signs led them to a section of the city that seemed more secluded. It was a bit darker in this sector and she started to spot more Drow walking around.

[As they approach the area, Sigurd's nose would begin to smell the distinct smell of wolves]

"We must be getting close." She said. The homes in this area were built of smaller logs and others were build into stony hills, much like the hot springs in their temporary home. The amount of people walking around began to increase, all of them seemingly full of energy as though they just woke up. As they continued, the occasional wolf could be seen walking along the paths. Others were resting peacefully on the ground outside of their homes. To the naked eye they appeared to be oversized wolves, but Sigurd's nose would know the difference.

They had found the Lythari.
Back to top Go down
Alan_Dietrich

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Two: In An Elven Way   Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:45 pm

Sigurd's nose caught the distinct scent of wolves, the smell was close to home for him and he smiled “well, if I can smell them, they can smell me” he said softly “now the real question, to shift or not to shift...” They walked into the village and he was surprised at how close to ThunderKnoll it looked, the architecture was very similar, but very elven.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DungeonMaster

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Two: In An Elven Way   Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:58 pm

The Lythari, when in Elven form, looked very similar to Moon Elves. The majority had very long ears, with white or gray hair. Their skin was fair and smooth. One would never guess that they were different from other Moon Elves. When in wolf form, they were majestic with soft white, gray or tan fur. Their eyes sparkled with an eerie grace and they were the size of small horses.

The homes were modest but beautiful, like the rest of the city. The ground here was more tightly packed and covered with soft leaves that made the ground soft but not muddy. And it was spread out more. Lots of open spaces.

As Sigurd and Ashwyn enter, several heads stopped and looked up at them. Those in wolf form sniffed the air, clearly smelling another similar species. They received curious stares and smiles from those they passed. Entering a clearing they saw a large group of children who were laughing and playing with one another. In the center was one wolf pup who was chasing the children and they laughed and dodged one another.

The air of this section of the village seemed much more casual. Everything up until now was very formal and refined, but these elves seemed to smile more and there was laughter. Various conversations could be overheard, all in Elven, but they were calm and pleasent and there were even the occasional jokes.

Every now and then a large wolf would bound through the area but most of them seemed to be in Elven form.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DungeonMaster

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Two: In An Elven Way   Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:30 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
AniRedFox
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Two: In An Elven Way   Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:32 pm

Ashwyn nodded her head whenever they were smiled at. And when  they approached the children she couldn't help but smile. In a lot of ways this place reminded her of Thunderknoll. It was certainly different than a standard Elven village.

There was so much to see that she found her eyes darting back and forth often. "This is amazing." She whispered to Sigurd.
Back to top Go down
Alan_Dietrich

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Two: In An Elven Way   Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:53 pm

Sigurd smirked "it's good, it's no ThunderKnoll..." he was impressed he just didn't want to show it. The children running around reminded him of the children back at home, how they would run in the streets in their varying forms. The absence of hybrid forms botherd him though. To only have two forms made it feel like they were just a bunch of druids playing werewolf.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lopiena

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Two: In An Elven Way   Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:34 pm

Lopiena nods. "I agree, I didn't really want to sell it anyway...I just don't have anything else of value." Taking and resheathing the dagger, she starts putting it around her waist...then shakes her head and puts it back in her pack. "Maybe later I'll learn how to use weapons like this, for now I'm in greater danger with it than without. If you are certain that we can get what we need without resorting to drastic measures, I will be more than happy to accompany you."
When Zane finally realizes the others aren't with them, she grins. "I think I overheard them saying something about a walk, or maybe shopping...I'm not sure, but they probably won't be back for a while. I think I remember hearing them say something about not needed much sleep, but I wasn't really listening...either way, I'm sure they'll be fine on their own." Turning back to the task at hand, she starts gathering weapons that need to be silvered. "What else should we take? I have Ashwyn's falkier, a bunch of arrows, and Sigurd's sword...plus my staff, of course...but I don't think we can afford to do everything."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DungeonMaster

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Two: In An Elven Way   Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:07 pm

As they walked through the village and more and more people seemed to take notice of them. Eventually they were approached by a couple that almost looked human. Well, at least in demeanor. They were both tall and beautiful and very obviously Elven, but they had big smiles on their faces and the man walked with his arm around the woman and they seemed to be chuckling over a joke that was just told. That was very uncommon among elves.

The man was around 6'4", tall even for an elf, with long silver hair that was braided down his back coming to rest at his waist. His eyes sparkled blue and gold and his face was more squared off than most elves. His body was wider than most also, revealing strong muscles in his exposed arms.

The woman was almost as tall, standing at 6'3". Her hair was more white than silver but just as long. It was curled around her face and pulled into a loose ponytail behind her. Her body was curvaous and full and swayed as she walked.

The male spoke once they were within talking distance. "I thought I smelled newcommers." He smiled warmly at them. He removed his arm from around the female's shoulder and offered it to Sigurd first. "Welcome! It's wonderful to have visitors. I'm Kerym Genfiel. I'm the Alpha of this pack. This is my mate, Falenas." He indicated the female.

She smiled warmly at them. "We had to meet you as soon as we caught your scent." She said, speaking mostly to Sigurd, but smiling at Ashwyn as well. "Will you be staying long?" She asked, looking at them both.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AniRedFox
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Two: In An Elven Way   Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:17 pm

Zane began looking around at the weapons to gather. "Well, Sigurd has these handaxes as well...and there's the spear and extra dagger Ashwyn picked up from that warrior we ran into. I have my staff but I won't be doing that one...Oh, I can get my darts done perhaps." He glanced at them.

He turned to see Lopiena being dwarfed by Sigurd's great sword. "Hmm...perhaps we should reconsider the carrying arrangement." He took the weapons from her and lay them on the bed. He took out a blanket from his pack and wrapped them all together, except for Sigurd's blade, which was far too large. "There!" He wrapped it around himself and carried it like a backpack.

"That way you can focus on the giant sword and I'll handle the rest. Honestly I don't know how he can wield that so well." He shook his head in shock.

"Oh well, let's go. We can see what they'll charge and decide from there." He said, making sure to secure a money bag to his hip.
Back to top Go down
Lopiena

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Two: In An Elven Way   Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:39 pm

Stunned that the gnome could heft such a huge bundle of weapons, Lopiena watches him for a long moment, waiting for him to tip over from the weight. When it's clear that he's perfectly capable of carrying them all, she shakes her head, grabs her (much smaller) money bag and picks up the scabbarded sword with both hands. Adjusting slightly so she doesn't tip over herself, she carefully follows. "You are full of surprises, Zane."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AniRedFox
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Two: In An Elven Way   Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:43 pm

Zane couldn't help but laugh when Lopiena said he was surprising. "Oh dear girl, I have hefted far more than this in my ears. Why, I had a master once that made me haul water 10 miles every day for 2 years. Now THAT was heavy. Of course, I was much younger back then." He laughed again as they walked down the stairs.

When they came outside to find the rain had stopped Zane smiled. "Oh good! No rain! Wonderful." He looked around them and then spotted another tree trunk building. "I suppose the market is that way." He pointed to it and began walking along the root road. "I wonder if they're still open..." He pondered.
Back to top Go down
Alan_Dietrich

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Two: In An Elven Way   Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:46 pm

Sigurd became wary of the two approaching them noting their demeanor and body language he relaxed. When the two couples met he was slightly daunted by their height. Sigurd was tall be these two had a few inches on him, which was rare. When the man extended his hand he took it as if they were old friends "well met, I'm Sigurd Krieger of ThunderKnoll and this is my traveling companion Ashwyn" he smiled and turned to his mate "unfortunately no, we'll most likely be leaving tomorrow once we meet with the High Druid"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AniRedFox
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Two: In An Elven Way   Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:10 pm

Falenas frowned. "Aww, that's really too bad." She said sadly while Kerym shook Sigurd's hand strongly.

He turned to Ashwyn and took her hand in his, kissing the back of it politely. He smiled at them. "Well, as long as your here, you are both welcome."

Ashwyn smiled at as he kissed her hand. She bowed her head in respect to him. "It's a pleasure to meet you both." She said happily.

Kerym put his hand back around Falenas's shoulder as she spoke. "So what brings you here to our neck of the woods?"

"We're here investigating all of the recent attacks on your city." Ashwyn explained. "We've been told that the High Druid will be able to help us, but we do not meet with him until tomorrow. The Chancellor told us of your tribe and we wanted to meet you."

Kerym's smiel widened. "Well the feeling is mutual, believe me! It's an honor."

A group of children ran past giggling loudly. The wolf pup was in the lead and was carrying something in it's mouth while the other children chased it. Falenas turned towards them and frowned. "Oh dear...they've taken the flag again..."

Kerym's laughed. "Well, seems they need to be schooled again."

Falenas rolled her eyes. "It's your turn. I did it last week."

He laughed again and nodded. "Anything for you, my love." he kissed her nose before turning back to Sigurd and Ashwyn. "I'm sorry, if you'll please excuse me. Falenas can show you around. Please make yourselves at home." He released her and then took off running after the kids. Mid stride he transformed into the largest wolf of them all that gleamed silver and grey. His change was seamless and it seemed the natural furs that he had been wearing became his fur as they melded together.

Falenas laughed watching him chase the children before turning back to her guests. "I'm sorry. Lately the children have taken to daring one another to steal the tribe flag. It's become a bit of a right of passage for them. And Kerym treats it like a game." She sighed but she was smiling.

"So, do you two have any children?" She asked, looking back and forth between them.

Ashwyn blushed a bright red at the implication and opened her mouth to speak but her embarrassment prevented her from coming up with words to speak.
Back to top Go down
Alan_Dietrich

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Two: In An Elven Way   Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:05 pm

Watching the kids go running by and smiled, ThunderKnoll's children were no different only their right of passage was hunting something down in the forest and dragging it back. He watched Kerym take off and shift even with his hight it didn't look as if his wolf form was any larger than his own, his mate spoke to him and he snapped back "oh? Oh no, we aren't together so no, no children between us" Sigurd said softly.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lopiena

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Two: In An Elven Way   Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:12 pm

Following behind Zane, Lopiena can't really read his expression but he sounds completely honest. "10 miles! Why so far? Who was your master? "
Stepping outside, she shivers just a little. The fancy dress is lovely, but it leaves a great deal more skin revealed than she's used to.  Nothing for it now...adjusting her grip on Sigurd's sword, she hurries after Zane. "I imagine someone is open, it's not that late and the Chancellor said we should be able to purchase stuff to prepare for tomorrow."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AniRedFox
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Two: In An Elven Way   Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:19 pm

Falenas's eyes widened in realization and she covered her mouth. "Oh my, I'm so sorry.
I just assumed....I'm terribly sorry. You just seem so connected." She lowered her hand and smiled embarassdly.

Ashwyn recovered from her own embarassment and laughed softly. "It's alright. It's a natural assumption." She glanced up at Sigurd with a chuckle.

Falenas smiled. "It really is. You two look so perfect together. Forgive me for saying so."
She straightened up to look more professional. "Well, allow me to show you around. I'm sure Kerym will wander back over eventually." She chuckled and began walking with them. She pointed out various sites to them, most of it was just homes, but they did have several play areas that looked a lot like obstical courses. Some of the younger adults were running through them in wolf form, jumping long distances or climbing up steep hills. Some even attempted it in elf form but it was clearly designed for a wolf body. They ended up at a hut that looked identical to all of the others except for a large black pot sitting outside of it. A very old woman was hunched over it and was stiring with a large wooden spoon. She looked up at them as they approached.

"Ahhh, I was hoping you'd bring them here." She said, her voice wobbled and was very soft.

Falenas smiled and approached the woman. She kissed the top of her head. "Yes mother. This is Sigurd and Ashwyn. Our new friends." She said, smiling up at Sigurd and Ashwyn. "This is Kerym's mother,
Lia, our former Alpha. She's the oldest and wisest among us."

The old woman bowed her head. "It's a pleasure to meet you, young people." She worbled. "Would you like to stay for a bite? Fresh rabbit stew. A specialty of mine."
Back to top Go down
AniRedFox
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Two: In An Elven Way   Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:25 pm

"Hmm...yes I suppose." He mumbled. He was distracted looking around at all the amazing sites. It took him a moment to register that she asked him a question about his former master.

"Hm? Oh, he's long dead now. A human, you see. Terribly short lives. Oh...not to be insensitive of course..." He waived it off. "In any case, it was quite far from here. I've traveled quite a bit in my 300 years you see." He smiled toothily.

They approached the tree building and found it to be bustling with life. Mostly night dwelling elves, such as Drow, but other races intermingled around as well. This place was by far the most crowded area they'd seen thus far. Elves packed into almost every corner, bartering and carrying goods. Several children ran through the crowd now and then as well.

There were signs everywhere advertising this merchant or that one. All sorts of things were being sold here. A sign on the far right indicated the blacksmith quarter was to the back.

"Ahh, here!" He said pointing to the sign. "This way we go, child!" He indicated the sign and began walking his way through them.
Back to top Go down
Alan_Dietrich

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Two: In An Elven Way   Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:51 pm

Sigurd smiled at Falenas' comment about them being perfect together. Maybe in another life... He looked at Ashwyn for a moment and then back to Falenas.

Looking around at the village as they were given the tour, they're more focused on fitness and agility than fighting training, he thought to himself, his face hardened slightly, no wonder the Chancellor is worried about this place. They were soft.

They were led to an old woman by a pot, when she was introduced as the former Alpha, Sigurd quickly took a knee and bowed his head "it's an honor to meet you" age was respected in his village and he assumed this one was no different.

They had just finished dinner but it would be rude to refuse such a kind offer so he nodded.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Two: In An Elven Way   

Back to top Go down

Chapter Two: In An Elven Way
Page 4 of 25Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14 ... 25  Next